How to Link NAS to sony items: tv (hx853), bluray (nf720), wireless speakers (NS510)

Discussion in 'Networking & NAS' started by nijx31, Aug 2, 2012.

1. nijx31

nijx31
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello,

I need some help identifying which products will work together:

I have a PC, Laptop, Mac Air, SKY router, Sony HX853 TV with DNLA, Wireless speakers via airplay/dnla (Sony NS510), SONY NF720 blueray/amp with DNLA.

I think i will need sony homestream to stream video/Photos to the TV
    I think i will need sony homestream to stream audio to the BLURAY/AMP
    I think i will need itunes to stream music to the wireless speakers

What NAS device can i purchase that will act as a media server so I don't need to keep my PC on, and use 1 app to control all?

Thanks

2. niall campbell

niall campbell

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +66
    WD My Book Live Personal Cloud Storage 2 TB Network Attached Storage: Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories

buy a NAS . This plugs into your Router and is wired / wireless.

Each separate device you have will access the NAS on their own to a certain degree. The playback of Files will differ from device to device. I think your Blu Ray player will play most of Video codecs and it will need to be switched on anyway for the sound factor.

The Blu Ray player will also play your Audio files and no need for itunes. Also if you have an ipod touch or phone you can simply download a free app called mediaconnect which will stream audio files all round the house straight from the NAS. It will also play Video files supported by the ipod touch/ phone

The mediaconnect app will tell my TV to start playing a film straight from the NAS.

You need the NAS and an unmanned switch behind your TV . One cable will run from the Router to the unmanned switch. All your devices will then connect to the unmanned switch. You can then put your router anywhere you want in the house.

Netgear GS105 5-port Gigabit Ethernet Switch: Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories switch

10M Ethernet Cable / CAT6 Network Lead / Shielded: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics CAT 6 cable as cheap as chips

3. nijx31

nijx31
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for that. Makes sense...

What's the best way to chose a NAS?

And what's the difference between unmanned and managed switch?

I guess i'll have to run multiple apps until everything can be connected via the same software

cheers

4. niall campbell

niall campbell

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +66
    You just need a simple NAS , like the one I posted

Unmanned will auto switch and direct the traffic

you dont need to run multiple apps. Each device has a player built in if you like.

The problem you MAY have is the TV is more picky in the VIDEO file types it will play.

If your TV is connected to your network just now , why not see how the NAS would operate ? Switch on a PC and see how the TV will connect to the PC and play music or pictures. This is how a NAS will work. It just replaces the need for a PC on.

As I suggested before just stick with the Blu Ray player for playing files on your network

5. nijx31

nijx31
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ok

however the Sony suggest using homestream which will convert mkv etc on the fly to compatible codec with the TV.
    therefore i was hoping to use this within the NAS drive but upon further investigation home stream isn't supported on NAS drives yet

another Q - what's the best (and cheapest) was to convert to cat6 cables to HDMI?

thanks again

6. niall campbell

niall campbell

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +66
    The tv will stream from the NAS & decode the file

What are you doing with HDMI ? You can run 15 metres no probs or get a pair of Baluns

7. nijx31

nijx31
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i already have a pair of extra cat6 cables from PC to TV so i might as well turn it to hdmi.
    Wondering if anyone has experience of this?

and what hdmi cables to go for?
    sky to tv
    bluray to tv

thanks

8. niall campbell

niall campbell

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +66
    all you need is HDMI 1.4
    HDMI KING - Double Insulated 1.8M Imperial Series High: Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories

this will future proof you for a while , and the 1.4 cable has an ethernet connection as well !!!!!!!!!!!

in the future only 1 device needs connected to internet and the rest will daisylink through the HDMI