• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

How to learn to read music?

Goooner

Distinguished Member
Being a noob guitarist, I've pretty much been playing by reading tab, yesterday I discovered a Hal Leonard DVD that taught using actual sheet music.

I found it quite interesting, finding out where actual notes were on each fret of different strings, instead of just numbers on tab.

So, I thought it might be a good idea to try and learn properly to read music, specifically for guitar.

Any tips for good starting places, books, sites etc...?

7ofnine

If you want to learn to read music notation then scales would be a good starting point to learn the names of the notes. Playing scales and arpeggios will also improve your technique.
When I started learning guitar I used a chord book to tell me where they are located on the fretboard.

Member 513627

Learning scales will definitely help, I'm a self taught guitarist so am still a bit shaky when reading music.

Scales will definitely help, helping you learn every note on the fretboard without even thinking about it.

I'm more of a play by ear guitarist though :cool: haha :suicide:

The latest video from AVForums

Hisense U7H TV and T+A Solitaire T headphone reviews, AV/HiFi news plus, what is screen uniformity?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom