1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to keep my XLS200 from rattling???

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by Prometheus, Mar 14, 2005.

1. Prometheus

Prometheus
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    My BK XLS200 has an annoying rattle at probably around 40Hz which I can't get rid of. The gain is already set to about 40% & cut-off approx 70hz. I know that nothing is wrong with the kit, I just can't keep the sub on the floor. When I kneel on top of it the rattle is gone and it hits the sweet spots really nicely. I was wondering how others out there deal with this? I have contemplated a paving slab on the top, but I would rather not for cosmetic reasons. I am using the floor spike seated on to discs because I have a wooden floor. I also thought maybe I should think about getting a BFD, if I understand correctly this will even out these huge resonant spots in the output? What should I do???
    :lease: :lease: :lease:

2. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +564
    Does it rattle with the supplied plastic screw-feet?

Perhaps try these with paving slab underneath?

...PJ

3. Prometheus

Prometheus
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I used the plastic feet first of all, then the rattle was worse and the sub migrated across the floor of it's own accord. It is much better now but still has the rattle at certain frequencies.

4. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    Have you checked that the spikes are screwed in tightly and made sure that it's stable and horizontal using a spirit level?

5. Prometheus

Prometheus
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    All the spikes are in contact with the discs and their is no lateral movement in the sub, but I haven't checked that it's level, will this really effect it in this way? I will try it anyway. Thanks for the input I'll let you know if it works.

cheers.
    Dave.

6. Diamond

Diamond

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You should order a BFD anyway, it does improve the playback of your sub. It might even help in your problem.. Btw, try a thick rubbermat under the sub?

7. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    Yup, a car mat should work quite well. You can cut it so that it's just the right size to fit beneath the feet.

There's a number of things that could be causing the rattle - can you elaborate on where it's coming from? For example, the amp panel, the driver, somewhere inside or a different item that's nearby.

Tightening up the screws that hold the bits together might help too but be careful not to strip the thread.

8. SillySausage

SillySausage

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    I had a similar sort of problem with my XLS200 when I first got it.

It may or not be the same problem, but mine was cured by tightening up the bottom spikes / plugs properly.

They were slightly loose which created a small air passage from the cabinet to the outside world. The end result was that the air travelling through the gap sounded like bass flapping and distortion.. :eek:

I actually fastened the studs in well and then put huge blobs of blu-tack over the top to locate the sub in a kid friendly fashion on a marble slab.

Maybe worth a look at !

Hope this helps,

Adam.