• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Question How to keep audio playing when TV is off (Onkyo NR414)

Garawa

Standard Member
Hi. Just spent a couple of hours Googling and couldn't find anything relevant or didn't have a clue what was being said!!

This surely must be simple? I want to stop the amp from cutting the audio whenever the TV is turned off. The inputs are connected by HDMI and things like ARC, pass through and RIHD are all set to off. I know the amp is being clever in thinking if you can't see the picture why would you want the sound by I have just purchased a Chromecast and now access all my media on the amp including my music. I don't need the TV showing me a blank box when I play an MP3!!!

There are lots of settings so I must be missing one surely that allows the amp to carry on and ignore whatever the TV is doing.....after all it is sending the sound to the speakers NOT the TV! The Chromecast only has an HDMI output so I can't use Optical like I do with my Sky box.

Racquel Darrian

Distinguished Member
Wouldn't turning off HDMI-CEC on your TV do as you want it to?

Garawa

Standard Member
Ive been in the dark about CEC and just discovered it is "Simplink" on my LG TV! I will have a look although I guess this will then stop the sky box controlling the TV which is a useful feature when using the Sky+ app. What I can't work out is that the TV doesn't turn the amp off, only the audio so it seems more an amp setting really but I'll give it a go later.

Racquel Darrian

Distinguished Member
Mine is setup so that when I turn off my TV my Blu-Ray player and amp switches off. But if I turn my amp off the Blu-Ray player and TV stays on. I use the latter for listening to films on my wireless headphones.

Garawa

Standard Member
Switching the "Simplink" to off made no difference (apart from devices no longer turning the TV on when I switched them on). The amp still recognised the TV had been turned off so cut the audio. The HDMI light flashes to indicate the output source had been lost when all I wanted was the speakers!

Garawa

Standard Member
Any ideas? It is definitely an amp setting I am missing somewhere. Usually the Xbox can be heard in the background even if the TV is off but I can't get the "PC" option to do the same! Both are connected to the amp by HDMI and the amp sends the same info to the tv via HDMI as well.

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom