How to install Canon software if my laptop has no CD drive?

electrolyte

Prominent Member
Reaction score
I have a Samsung Ultrabook which is great but it has no CD / DVD drive. I want to install the Canon software that came with my 50D (eg EOS Utility, DPP etc) but the software isn't available as a full download on the Canon website. Only updates are available and these will only work if the software has been installed from a disk first.

Seems really daft in this day and age, especially as ultrabooks are all the rage and they usually don't come with a disk drive.

Has anyone else had this problem and managed to download the full version of the software?

Do you not know anyone with a PC/Lappie with a CD drive that can copy the installers off onto a USB drive for you ?

If Not then feel free to send me the CD and I'll do it and send you the CD back with a USB stick.

Jim

Can you borrow an external drive to load it with if not you might have to fork out but they are cheap as chips not ideal I know

Do you not know anyone with a PC/Lappie with a CD drive that can copy the installers off onto a USB drive for you ?

If Not then feel free to send me the CD and I'll do it and send you the CD back with a USB stick.

Jim

Thanks Jim, that is a great idea, my 12 year old has a laptop with a CD drive. I'll do that.

Thanks also for the very kind offer to do it yourself :smashin:

It is ridiculous that Canon don't offer the full software to download though.

Thanks Jim, that is a great idea, my 12 year old has a laptop with a CD drive. I'll do that.

Thanks also for the very kind offer to do it yourself :smashin:

It is ridiculous that Canon don't offer the full software to download though.

You're welcome - and I agree :)

What's the software and what version is it - might be an online copy stored "somewhere" :)

Last edited:
The software I needed is called EOS Utility. I have used my son's laptop to copy the files from the CD to a USB stick and am installing the software now. So no need to look "somewhere" ;)

No problem - hope it works out :)

Canon U.S.A. : Support & Drivers : EOS 50D

or

EOS 50D

Can't you just download it from here ? This has DPP, EOS Utility (remote control of camera), PhotoStitch Panorama, Photo Styler and Image browser library software. Think that covers all of the packages that came with my 550D.

No, the only downloads available on that site (and the UK / European ones) are updates that will only work if you already have the software installed on your computer.

Quite why they don't make the full software available I don't know. I doubt whether Nikon, Sony etc users would want to download it.

Sorry, didn't spot they were only updates for the DPP and EOS Utility, note to self - must read the small print in future.

Sorry, didn't spot they were only updates for the DPP and EOS Utility, note to self - must read the small print in future.

No problem, it is an easy mistake to make. You would assume that Canon would provide the full software for download but they don't.

Anyway, thanks to Jim, I now have the full software installed on my laptop. So for me, the problem is solved.

:clap: :smashin:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom