1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to: Indina Jones travel map?

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by progmr, Apr 20, 2004.

1. progmr

progmr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm hoping someone knows how to create an effect similiar to that on the Indiana Jones movies that displays a map and a moving line as he travels from place to place.

I've got hundreds of slides and video of a long vacation to the Western US and would like to us a similiar effect. I am running Pinnicle Studio 9.0.

Thank You

2. m@rk

m@rk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +360
    I tried to do this once and ended up creating loads of still images (each with an extra dot on the map) and then dropping them all into my video editing software one by one.

It actually looked pretty good but took me hours to do.

I am looking forwards to finding an easier way.

3. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    How about:

Create a still image of the line you require on the map. Use two contrasting colours (like a red line on a green background)

Overlay the still on the map, using chroma key so that the green bit is transparent.

Then do a wipe effect between the still and the map.

4. Antoeknee

Antoeknee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Assuming you've something like Photoshop. Grab a frame with the map. Then use line funtction on Photoshop to add each section of line to the map. If these are done on seperate layers you'll be able to save each section as a buildup in an individual image.
    Then in your vid editing software just do a wipe from one scene to the next and it will look like the line is being drawn.

Sorry if this isn't too clear just thinking on my feet

EDIT: just had a go took about 2-3 minutes to do it.

Is there any way to add a file to these posts? If so I'll attach my effort

5. vonhosen

vonhosen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
  6. Brian110507

Brian110507

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you use the 'Post Reply' button on the RIGHT at the end of this thread instead of the quick reply box under the thread you will have access to the 'IMG' button to insert pictures in your post.

7. Antoeknee

Antoeknee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yep found that after posting before but need to add streaming video file (RM (REAL) or WMV (MS media player). Even making file low res and small image size and zipping (only way to add to post) its still too large too add as there is a limit of about 110k.

I did the addition of the line in Photoshop Elements and the creation of the video on Pinnacle Studio 9. I estimate the whole process took 10 minutes.

If anybody is interested in seeing the effect I can e-mail the WMV file (440k) if you e-mail me: anthony.blake@virgin.net

8. Antoeknee

Antoeknee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0