How to improve your SVS (*secret tip*)

AngelEyes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I found a little known tweak that can greatly enhance your listening pleasure. After a lot of fiddling with my PB12 Ultra I have cured most of the issues I was experiencing.

I had been searching for the chest-thumbing-headpounding-ball aching bass I had heard so much about but still wasn't getting it.

Anyone in this position can cure this instantly with a little know HC guru tip:

Turn up the Volume you ****!

Yes, I was said **** :rotfl:

There is, however a good reason my volume was set to a sensible level... the rest of the system can't keep up :( I was warned but now I see the light, my lovely SVS is going to bankrupt me in search of equivalent sound from the rest of the system. :D

Anyone considering buying an SVS be warned, they are a hard act to follow!

Nice one Angeleyes :rotfl:
I have the PB2-ultra, and i plonked it down- set it up using only my ears for guidence ( i wouldnt know what to do with a BFD if i had one ) and the volume button is the only thing i tweak every now and again. (apart from the girlfriends, but dont tell the wife :D ).
Kinza.

Glad you finally got round to setting it up right and that you are now experiencing that chest thumping gut wrenching bass that only comes from a real subwoofer rather than the imitators.

That "tip" is a real goody and I am sure that sort of information can only be gleaned from years and years of experience :rotfl:

What did you have the gain set at and what is it set at now?

Well I like to share my experience for free even if it is hard earned :D

I still have some tweaking to do (missing some higher frequency bass) but I didn't realise how much difference it makes to turn the volume up (on the amp) a couple of notches.

The gain on the sub is around 10 oclock and the the Gain on the Amp is +3bd (all other speakers are 0db). This is still slightly too hot I think but until I retrieve my missing high end bass it is pretty good.

I had a listen to FOTP yesterday with the volume about 45% (I usually listen at 25%, can't tell you the DB as screen is broken) and the difference was staggering :D

Unfortunately as I said, the other speakers (or the amp) are starting to distort and it is not comfortable to listen to. :rolleyes:

That FOTP is awsome man,if your other speakers are distorting I would not be surprised.

To take a little load of the other speakers you could up the subs output to 12 o'clock then you could lower the the receiver's output a notch or two.

I'll probably take a look at that. At the moment it is the centre that sounds rough and I did detect a small tear in the foam surround of one of the drivers :(

AngelEyes said:
the centre that sounds rough and I did detect a small tear in the foam surround of one of the drivers :(
Not great :(

I don't know if mission speakers are fragile but in the (*scratches head*) 10 years or so I have had the 733s I have had to replace he main drivers in both twice as they rot (go hard and become brittle).

I think however the centre is suffering from a recent incedent where my daugther tested the maximum volume setting on the receiver. Strangely enough this is when I replaced the latest 733 driver as it literally exploded across the room! :eek:

Flight of the Phoenix. The recently released remake is noted for huge bass effects during the crash scene.

I have turned up my sub on the amp whist watching Master and Commander, bass is amazing but dialogue is hard to make out unfortunately. Could turn up the centre speaker but the whole sound field would then become unbalanced.

Sorry, it annoys the hell out of me when I don't understand the acronyms....!

btw, wtf does WAF mean? :confused:

Pollywoggle said:
I have turned up my sub on the amp whist watching Master and Commander, bass is amazing but dialogue is hard to make out unfortunately. Could turn up the centre speaker but the whole sound field would then become unbalanced.

Exactly the problem I am having, execpt mine distorts a bit too :(

AngelEyes said:
Sorry, it annoys the hell out of me when I don't understand the acronyms....!

btw, wtf does WAF mean? :confused:

Wife Acceptance Factor. Aproval factor of SWMBO.

Glad you finally turned things up.

P.S. SWMBO = She Who Must Be Obeyed, before you ask :D

yeah that was the one I saw before and couldn't work out.

I got as far as 'Stupid Witch Mustn't Be Observed' and gave up?! :(

AngelEyes said:
There is, however a good reason my volume was set to a sensible level... the rest of the system can't keep up :( I was warned but now I see the light, my lovely SVS is going to bankrupt me in search of equivalent sound from the rest of the system. :D

I would think that Something like a Yamaha Z9 or the new Denon A11XV will do and some nice new M&K speakers and that should finish you're system off nicely.. :smashin:

AngelEyes said:
yeah that was the one I saw before and couldn't work out.

I got as far as 'Stupid Witch Mustn't Be Observed' and gave up?! :(

You were obviously never a Rumpole fan then :)

AngelEyes said:
I found a little known tweak that can greatly enhance your listening pleasure. After a lot of fiddling with my PB12 Ultra I have cured most of the issues I was experiencing.

I had been searching for the chest-thumbing-headpounding-ball aching bass I had heard so much about but still wasn't getting it.

Anyone in this position can cure this instantly with a little know HC guru tip:

Turn up the Volume you ****!

I thought you were going to say something like you had suspended it from the rafters 2" from your head or that you had drilled a hole in it's cabinet to let the bass out :)

Ian J said:
You were obviously never a Rumpole fan then :)

I have heard the expression, it just didn't occur to me at the time :suicide:

Great advice. My PC-Ultra was delivered from USA to UK in 3 1/2 days, just how good is that. Setup by ear at present as I did not have a 9v battery for SPL meter. Turned everything on and hmmmm, were's the bass oh yeah, crank the volume up. Geeezzee any of you guys listened to the "green explosion" in the Iron Giant ? Must be sub 20 Hz stuff there as my trouser legs were flapping, the SVS instruction booklet was visible vibrating in my hand & my wife started to laugh hysterically from the loo upstairs. Apparently as the explosion cycles throughout intensity and frequency the loo starts to vibrate at certain frequencies, and she was sitting on it at the time :eek: :rotfl:. She then started to complain that a chunk of plaster fell from off the wall. Perhaps SVS should market the PC-Ultra as a house demolishing unit. Tired of your current home, like the open air then watch your fav film in total comfort whilst we remove your house from around you at no extra cost. :devil:

Perhaps SVS should try marketing their subs for 'lonely Women' as well :rotfl:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom