How to improve the Audio?

ancistrus

Standard Member
Hi,

Recently I acquired, to replace my old audio system (+/-20 years) an AV system.
I am pretty satisfied with the way the AV system sounds, but not happy on how it sounds with stereo.
Got a Denon 3311 receiver and Monitor Audio RX6 speakers.

To invert this situation I will purchase a new CD and a good cable – suggestions for CD and cable needed (£ 350-400)

I know that is possible, but don't know how to do it, to add an integrated amplifier that connects to the Denon, without having to add more speakers – suggestions needed

Thank you.

andy1249

Distinguished Member
know that is possible, but don't know how to do it, to add an integrated amplifier that connects to the Denon, without having to add more speakers – suggestions needed

I have done this , the results are great. Best of both worlds.

Before I start , your Denon would need to have pre outs for the front left and right channels, if that is the case then ...

Pick a good stereo amp , one that has a power amp or unity mode is good , but not entirely necessary.
Disconnect the front left and right speakers from the Denon.
Connect these to the stereo amp.
Run the preouts for the front left and right speakers from the Denon to an input on the stereo amp.

Now you have an AV system with the front left and right being driven by the stereo amp.
Movies and multichannel material are played with both amps on ,

Music and stereo material are played with just the stereo amp on.
Stereo sources are connected directly to the stereo amp.

To get the best out of such a setup the front left and right speakers need to be full range bookshelfs or floorstanders , theres no point trying to do this if the front left and right speakers dont have the range for stereo music , i.e. the small units that come with sub and satellite speaker sets will not do at all.

windhoek

I was in a similar situation till I read this AVF post about a Beresford TC-7220 speaker switch. It lets you connect two amps to one (or two pairs) of speakers. It doesn't permit bi-wire connections, so you'd need to use binding plates or jumper cables, but it's transformed my music listening as I now use a Naim Nait 3 when I want to listen to music and my Yamaha AVR when I want 5.1.

The Beresford is available here for £59.99 plus P&P.

The latest video from AVForums

Are the TCL MiniLED TVs better than OLED? TCL Interview with Marek Maciejewski | AVForums Podcast
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom