Question How to improve my projector Screen?. Pictures inside.

Shinji Mikami

Standard Member
Hi, how are you. : )

I got a Epson EH-TW9400 into a Semi-Dedicated Room. I can completely darken the room with no light from outside. That's the good news.

I got some treatment on walls, floor and ceiling but still there are some britghtness and reflections from speakers, walls, doors, floor, ceiling... but I cannot convert this room in a batcave with black fabric velvet and else because WAT/WAF. This is what it is.

So I think that my only choice to get all the deep blacks and contrast that this Epson is capable to give is aiming to improve the projector screen, maybe changing it for another one in gray color or ALR.

I've not experience nor information about this kind of screens. Certanly I'm lost : ) I wonder if changing my white screen for a grey screen I would improve deep blacks and contrast, absorbing lights and reflections. Or maybe an ALR screen is the right choice, I don't know.

That's my current setup:

IMG-20191208-143318.jpg

IMG-20210117-190841.jpg

IMG-20210117-190740.jpg

IMG-20210117-190140.jpg

IMG-20210117-190918.jpg

Googleing i saw some ALR screens from USA/Europe but they are too much expensive (+1000€/$). I saw other ones from China , cheapest, but I don't know about quality.

I asked myself if exist any chance to DIY an ALR screen painting the current white screen or changing the white screen preserving the current frame wall.

And the most important, I have no idea about Pros & Cons.

So I think my only choice is DIY or bargain (chinese) ALR screen, what do you recommend?

Thanks in advance.

alebonau

I got some treatment on walls, floor and ceiling but still there are some britghtness and reflections from speakers, walls, doors, floor, ceiling... but I cannot convert this room in a batcave with black fabric velvet and else because WAT/WAF. This is what it is.
looks a well treated room I would have thought, no white walls, ceiling etc.

re speakers... I have seen folk make up some velvet covers for them can just lay on top etc.

are the walls really reflective ? look grey as is ?
improve the projector screen, maybe changing it for another one in gray color or ALR.
am not sure will help here, ALR screens have their own issues as well. and grey screens give up possibility of ever doing white !

not sure these will help unless introducing ambient light in the room ? which doesnt sound like you are doing ? have you tried the laser pointer test ? use a laser pointer with the room dark, nothing on the screen and standing at the screen point the laser around the room see if its illuminating anything on the screen ?

Upvote 0

IWC Dopplel

Distinguished Member
You will get significant upgrades using velvet (doesn't need to be black, dark blues, browns etc are fine around your screen and covering your speakers

My room doesn't look anywhere near as 'AV' as your room and is very well treated, I have everything within 8' of the screen covered in velvet, some black, some dark blue, windows are light sealed with shutters and a drape over the window near the screen. I also roll out a floor covering over the rug for a film. The centre speaker is velvet wrapped. WAF is fine with some careful work

L9513868.jpg

Upvote 0

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: LG C1 OLED First Thoughts + JBL Synthesis SDR-35 Review, TV Show & Disc Reviews & more
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom