1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to improve CD play on Toshiba SD220(?)

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by PeterL, Jul 4, 2002.

1. PeterL

PeterL
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello to Toshiba SD220 owners.

What Hi-Fi & Video magazine have reviewed the Toshiba SD220 this month. It comes out top of their group test just ahead of the Lecson DVD-1000.

More interestingly, the reviewer claims that if you turn off Dynamic Range Control in the audio setep menu (on by default) this makes a big improvement on the sound quality when playing CD's. However, according to the Toshiba manual, it says this function only applies to DVD's, which is puzzling.

I gave it a try on my system linked to my Yamaha AV amp and Yamaha sattelites. Personally I'm not sure it makes any difference, although I have to say I'm no audiophile so my ears are not that well attuned to any differences. Also, it's difficult because you have to stop the disc, go into setup, change the setting and then play the disc again, meaning a gap of around 10 seconds or so between hearing the same output.

Anyway, I thought you guys might be interested to try it too. I guess some of you can give it a better test than me. I'd also be interested to know if leaving this setting off downgrades the quality of DVD sound output.

Please report back with your findings...

Thanks, PeterL

2. PeterL

PeterL
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sadly, my thread on this subject seems to have died.

Are there any Toshiba SD220 owners out there able to try this? Or are you so enjoying watching DVD's on your player that you just haven't got round to trying CD's?

Someone, please try it and report back!

TIA, PeterL

3. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +834
    Hi

Tried this on my Tosh 900 the other day. The DRC makes absolutely no difference to cd playback switched on or off either via digital or analogue output. It was the same for my Tosh 210 as well. No difference whatsoever.

My 900 lets me change the settings whilst listening to a disc so I did´nt have to stop, start etc. Just press setup and then into the relevant option.

Either What HiFi have bionic hearing or its total crap, my money is on the latter.:devil:

4. PeterL

PeterL
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Jase

Thanks for the reply. I have heard magazines have special equipment to test these sort of things, but I expect your second suggestion is more accurate. ;)

Thanks for checking though,

PeterL

5. PeterL

PeterL
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm still unclear on what leaving the Dynamic Range Control setting off does to the quality of DVD sound output. Not being an audiophile, what precisely (in respect of DVD sound) is "Dynamic Range Control"?

Thanks again,
    PeterL

6. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +834
    DRC limits the volume difference between the quietest sounds and the loudest sounds. For example when there´s an explosion you get a huge increase in volume level. Switch on the DRC and you don´t. Most amps/receivers have different levels of it, OFF, LOW, MID, HIGH. each varying the degree of compression.

7. Peter Shilton

Peter Shilton
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for starting this thread. I brought the magazine on the strenth of the fact i might learn more about this. I also have the 220E firmware 1.4 and think it is great. It appears then that we can leave the DRC off all the time, as obviously we want to hear a lod explosion in a queit part of a movie.

(God knows what the kareoke setting is for!!!)

I am pleased that they think our DVD is the dogs whatsits!!

8. PeterL

PeterL
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ... And thanks Jase for the explanation.

PeterL