1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to import fom a VHS cassette

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by Eee-Tee, Nov 28, 2002.

1. Eee-Tee

Eee-Tee
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    hi there,
    I'm currently editing a Dv project on my PC, and i want to combine it with something that i recorded onto VHS. What is the easiest (and cheepest ) Way to do this. Is it possible at all
    i know that you need something like Dazzel for an analogue cam, But this is different, right?:confused:
    :D

2. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,380
    If you do not have an analogue input on your capture card then the next best option is to capture the VHS footage to your camcorder. Now this could be easy, not too expensive or impossible (I think I've covered all the angles there :D ). It all depends on the camcorder you own.
    If your camcorder has it's inputs enabled then all you do is connect the VCR to camcorder, put camcorder in VCR mode press recorde and play on VCR. Then transfer as digital to PC. Easy:rolleyes:
    If your camcorder has it's inputs disabled (and most in the UK do :mad: ) then you might be able to get a 'widget' to enable the inputs for around £40 and then connect/record as above.

The bad news is that not all camcorders can have there inputs enabled:mad: , so check carefully if opting to purchase a widget

try:
    www.smartdv.co.uk
    www.keene.co.uk

Otherwise it is exactly like connecting an analogue cam to your PC.

Mark.

3. Eee-Tee

Eee-Tee
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Mark- i had a read in the manuel and it actually tells you how to dub from a vhs cassette to mini dv. I followed the instructions, but i only get a blank screen on the camcorder even when the video is playing. do i need to connect up s video as well as the 3 standard plus- i dont have an svideo socket on my VCR.or is it because its a US camcorder- but i can playback on my tv whats on dv (although it is in b+w):confused:

4. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,380
    When useing the analogue connections on a VCR and/or camcorder the transfer is done useing PAL/NTSC.
    In your case you are sending a PAL (UK/Europe format) signal from the VCR to a camcorder set for NTSC (USA format), but these standards do NOT appply in DV (as DV is the format) and therefore can be used to edit on a PC. I would guess that this is why the screen is blank when trying to dub.
    S-Video is a higher quality connection than the standard composite (yellow phono connection), but this is not found on VHS, only S-VHS VCR's. S-Video sends the picture on one cable and the colour on another, therefore it is not compatible with composite as you would only get a black & white picture. When playing back to TV from DV this is probably what the camcorder is outputting (check the setting in the manual) and therefore gives the B&W pic.
    Check your manual for the camcorder as you may be able to change the settings from one standard to the other. Most modern PAL TV's and VCR's can output an NTSC recording.
    If all else fails then try and borrow another DV camcorder with enabled inputs from a friend (or friendly local dealer :rolleyes: ).

Mark.

5. Eee-Tee

Eee-Tee
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Mark- so does this mean that i cant dub from a video?
    any ideas how to get around this (apart from borrowing another cam)?

6. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,380
    It does look like the NTSC & PAL units will stop you dubbing from one to the other.

Not a great solution, but the only thing I can think of....

Copy from VHS to a new VHS cassette and insert the DV footage around this as required.

Of course this is only any good if you are mastering to VHS and not VCD etc.

Does anybody else have any bright ideas :confused: as other than the above......:rolleyes:

Good luck
    Mark.