1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to implement a new AV Receiver in my setup?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by j.moghisi, Oct 25, 2005.

1. j.moghisi

j.moghisi
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

This is my current setup:

Panasonic TH-42PWD7
    Digital Tuner, Digital Satellite connected to screen via RGB-to-VGA converter
    DivX DVD Player connected to screen via Component
    VCR connected to screen via Composite inputs
    Stereo sound off integrated 16W stereo amplifier in the screen

I want to introduce a half-decent sound system. I am looking at around £300, and I kinda like the Sony HT-SF800M or Sony HT-DDW870

http://www.sony.co.uk/view/ShowProd...ype=Features&category=HCS+Cinema+Surround+Kit
    http://www.sony.co.uk/view/ShowProd...ype=Overview&category=HCS+Cinema+Surround+Kit

But how would I have to set this up?
    I would still want to be able to use the full RGB and Component inputs, but the receivers only have Composite connectors for video. How would i do this? And could I send all audio to the receiver, even the VCR? One last thing, do these receivers use optical or coaxial connectors for sound?

Sorry for being a newbie....

Thanks

2. pragmatic

pragmatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,678
    Very few slim lines have many connections, usuly only scart or composite for video (not even worth bothering with this one) and audio wise there usualy limited too.

For £300 i think you'd strugle to get everytrhing you want, for starters only amps with scart will give you RGB so you'll need to use s-video with most amps, although component is ok. I sugest you check out the yamaha AV 57 http://www.tribaluk.com/detail.php?ProdID=03974117&referrer=pricerunner you'd need a dvd player too if you haven't got one.

The reiever only accepts composite and component and has no s-video jacks. The source with RGB scart and unless it has component to, i would suggest connect this directly to the screen for best picture quality.

This reciever has three digital inputs 2x optical and 1 coax, there are also converters availible to go between the two.

For less than £200 with speakers this kit is pretty good.

Sorry I can't say anything about the sonys, but in my experience until you get to the mid range with there kit its nothing special.

3. j.moghisi

j.moghisi
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Is it possible to ot use the AV Receiver for video at all, just audio? Keeping all my components connected to the TV as they are?

4. rhino2k

rhino2k

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +788
    thats what i do, works a treat :)

it's just nice to know the option of running everything through the av amp is there.

i find the pioneer amps very good, lots of kit for the money imo :smashin:

5. pragmatic

pragmatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,678
    There is a convience of using the amp with video, when you change source it'll change on your screen and amp at same time, using upconversion/upscaling for conveince conection and improved image quality, respectivley. Signal loss by going through an amp is usualy negligable also. Plus you only get an osd by going via the amp, although the majority of amps don't support this on a component connection.