How to I get the Europa league on my Dad's LG Smart TV?

Wulbert

Established Member
Reaction score
My 90 year old dad has expressed a wish to watch the Europa football matches. He has a 55 inch OLED LG Smart TV that I recently bought for him (failing eyesight).

My mother (his main carer) was told by a relative that he just needs to get a month's Sky Sports subscription and he can watch the euro football. She has asked me to help. Just spent a couple of hours at their house trying to set this up, but I'm not sure I have been successful. I am completely clueless about football and all that surrounds it.

I Googled "How to get Sky Sports on LG TV" and was informed that is done by using the "Now TV" app and then purchasing Sky Sports. I have now done this, getting a "deal" for £20 that supposedly buys "All 11 Sky Sports channels" with a "Boost" of an extra month. ( I ended up using my own PayPal account to pay for this after the old dear's bank card refuse to play with the "Now TV" payment platform)

The thing is, I can't see any details about the Europa league in the Now TV/Sky Sports app when I log in. I can see lots of "highlights" and "Round -ups" of UK football and some historical footage.

I suspect I may have been naive thinking he can watch Euro football for £20? So, how can I get these matches working on his LG Smart TV? What do I need to buy/do?

Thanks.

Sky don't have the Europa League. BT Sport have it.

There isn't a BT Sport app for LG tv's, so you'd be looking at something like an Amazon Firestick or similar that you could install the BT Sport app on when connected to the TV.

Last edited:
Sky don't have the Europa League. BT Sport have it.

There isn't a BT Sport app for LG tv's, so you'd be looking at something like an Amazon Firestick or similar that you could install the BT Sport app on when connected to the TV.

***! That's what I get for listening to relatives. Thanks for the information. I shall look into the Firestick thing.

***! That's what I get for listening to relatives. Thanks for the information. I shall look into the Firestick thing.
So, just to be clear, a Firestick is the only way he can watch BT Sport on his LG TV?

I have an Apple TV I could lend him. OR maybe BT Sport can be added to the "Now TV Sport" package I purchased this morning?

I find this stuff incredibly confusing. I don't even own a TV.

If you have the now tv app working on the TV then you should be able to add BT sport and if your quick cancel sky sports. There is in fact a now TV stick as well and sometimes they do very good deals.

To get HD quality you need to add BOOST which is extra of course.

I am not in uk but have a now tv stick and avail of those dirt cheap offers. There are only 3 europa league games left, Champions League, cmon MADRID, Europa league, cmon Rangers, then Europa conference final cmon Roma.

Read this link for BT sport and search for offers. You can have BT sport and nothing else.

and I think some of these games may be FREE TO AIR but need a satellite feed or may even be on Freeview.

and you can add now tv to Apple TV and it can actually work better. And you can add it to a firestick.

here's a good offer just get BT

Last edited:
If you have the now tv app working on the TV then you should be able to add BT sport and if your quick cancel sky sports. There is in fact a now TV stick as well and sometimes they do very good deals.

To get HD quality you need to add BOOST which is extra of course.

I am not in uk but have a now tv stick and avail of those dirt cheap offers. There are only 3 europa league games left, Champions League, cmon MADRID, Europa league, cmon Rangers, then Europa conference final cmon Roma.

Read this link for BT sport and search for offers. You can have BT sport and nothing else.

and I think some of these games may be FREE TO AIR but need a satellite feed or may even be on Freeview.

and you can add now tv to Apple TV and it can actually work better. And you can add it to a firestick.

here's a good offer just get BT

Thank you very much @gbmitie Even if he only gets a few games it will be worth the £30 -£40 or whatever. Still cheaper than a night in the pub. His pleasures are few at his age, so a big match on the big telly is something to look forward to.

Have purchased BT Sport monthly pass on my own BT account (£25). Hoping I can add this to the old man's "Now TV" Sky package on his LG telly. Will have a go this evening. Will just keep the Sky deal for a month, he was watching games last night and seemed content.
Thanks for the advice folks.

I don't believe you can access BT Sport from the Now TV app here in the UK.

You mentioned you have an Apple TV. You should be able to install the BT Sport app on that. Or a Firestick or similar.

did you read my post with the link!!

Wulbert can you post back how you got on. Apart from Europe they can watch end of Premier league, cmon City, Fa cup, cmon Chelsea, the championship play offs, English LEAGUE one and 2 play offs, and some Scottish games, so get their moneys worth. You need that boost for HD or else it will look AWFUL on that nice TV.

You will also get the, French, Italian and Spanish leagues but they are almost done and dusted.

Last edited:
You are quite correct and it may be TV restricted ie LG, this is the BT line.

"I'm afraid we don't have an app for LG TVs. You'll need to connect a supported device to your TV to watch BT Sport. Options include Chromecast, Google TV, Now TV Stick, Roku Stick, Apple TV, Xbox, PlayStation ... "

I do believe I was getting my apps in a twist.

did you read my post with the link!!

Wulbert can you post back how you got on. Apart from Europe they can watch end of Premier league, cmon City, Fa cup, cmon Chelsea, the championship play offs, English LEAGUE one and 2 play offs, and some Scottish games, so get their moneys worth. You need that boost for HD or else it will look AWFUL on that nice TV.

You will also get the, French, Italian and Spanish leagues but they are almost done and dusted.

Yeah, I'll post back on how I get on. Will try to add the BT Sport package to his NowTV app this evening.
This is all getting very confusing. Dunno why the organisers don't just make the games pay per view. Would be a lot simpler for people like me who just want to watch a couple of games.

Jole is correct

Take your apple TV with you as it looks as if in the UK and an LG TV you cant add BT sport!! to the Now TV app!!

The way it works in UK is you download a BT sport app to get BT sport Whereas here in Ireland you can add BT sport to now tv stick and then to get HD you pay extra for boot.

The Roku express is the cheapest option another £25.00

Jole is correct

Take your apple TV with you as it looks as if in the UK and an LG TV you cant add BT sport!! to the Now TV app!!

The way it works in UK is you download a BT sport app to get BT sport Whereas here in Ireland you can add BT sport to now tv stick and then to get HD you pay extra for boot.

The Roku express is the cheapest option another £25.00
Would an Apple TV 3 work? I've have an old one in a drawer he could have.

OK. Connected up my own Apple TV 4K to his LG telly and was able to add the BT Sport app to it from the App Store. Logged in to my new BT Sport account on the Apple TV and was able to get the the Europa footie up and running.

It's a bit clunky since you have to select the correct HDMI input on the LG TV for the Apple TV, then switch remotes to navigate content, then use the LG remote to adjust the volume. LG don't help by having two remotes for the one telly for some bizarre reason. One is a kind of "pointer" thing, the other does more set up type functions. Image quality was fairly ropey at first, but seemed to improve when we got the wi-fi signal sorted out (was using my iPhone as a wi-fi hot spot initially because my mum could not remember their wi-fi password)

Looks like the Now TV package is redundant but at least he has a month of Sky Sports viewing. He was happily watching the Europa, Rangers-Liepszig qualifying match when I left. Roll on next week!

Thanks for the help. Now to purchase another Apple TV 4K!

Glad your sorted and thanks for getting back, even I got confused, there is lots of football with the now TV ie sky sporets and SPURS V ARSENAL is on now. That LG OLED tv has lots of picture options so if you could get the model number we could point you in the right direction.

Get a roku express for your dad as that apple 4k won't be cheap. Its the same principle

Glad your sorted and thanks for getting back, even I got confused, there is lots of football with the now TV ie sky sporets and SPURS V ARSENAL is on now. That LG OLED tv has lots of picture options so if you could get the model number we could point you in the right direction.

Get a roku express for your dad as that apple 4k won't be cheap. Its the same principle

The TV is an LG OLED 55B7V 55" I noticed it had a "Sports" picture option, which was a wee bit overly sharpened for my tastes but the old man has cataracts so high-contrast is probably good for him.

I'll look into the Roku...would you need to have a subscription ( pay more money?) with them to make it work?

That is a very good TV, to set it up will take a bit of time, there is a link on here, I'll find it later. And it was reviewed on here.

With the roku all you would do is download the bt app like you did for the apple tv and then sign in.

Its available at Amazon.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom