How to hook Wii to Sony HT-SS2300 Theater System?

CreedFeed

Standard Member
I'm fairly new to home theater equipment and just got a Sony HT-SS2300 home theater in-a-box system, along with a Sony Bravia 32" LCD. Since this theater system has 3 HDMI inputs and 1 HDMI outputs, it was fairly easy to hook up my PS3 and Cable box - I just hooked everything together with HDMI cables and it works great. I'm having a problem with my Wii though. If I hook the Wii up directly to the TV the audio only plays through the TV speaker.

Back of the SS2300 receiver = http://www.sonystyle.com/wcsstore/SonyStyleStorefrontAssetStore/img/products/HTSS2300_rearpanel.jpg

After doing some research it sounds like I can take a Wii Component Cable (like this one? Amazon.com: Nintendo Wii Component Cable AV Cable for HDTV/EDTV High Definition 480p: Video Games) and hook the 3 video cables to the TV and the 2 audio cables to the receiver. Unfortunately due to placement in my tv cabinet the component cable won't reach both tv and receiver. Most of these cables have a fairly short length where the 5 wires split from the base.

In reading the manual for the Sony receiver it sounds like I can hook up the Wii to the TV with the component cable and then hook the tv to the receiver with a digital optical cable (like this one? Amazon.com: Fiber Optical Toslink Digital Audio Optic Interface 6 Foot Cable: Electronics) ??

Can anyone help out?

Last edited:

dwhite

Distinguished Member
Unfortunately the Wii doesn't have any other audio output except the Red/White stereo RCA. You could connect all the cables on the component cable to your TV, then run a audio cable (stereo RCA or optical) back from the TV to the amp. This will also give you the advantage of getting the TV's internal tuner audio to the amp.

I would only recommend this for stereo sources, as the TV will only output stereo, it will not switch 5.1 thru it.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom