How to hook up a TV/AV receiver/4k Blue Ray player correctly

Rockitman31

Novice Member
Reaction score
I have a Denon AVRX2600h AV receiver, LG OLED83C2 TV, and a Sony UBPX700 HD BlueRay. I cannot figure out how to produce sound on the receiver from the TV. I have it hooked to HDMI2 ARC on TV and into the receivers HDMI2 HDCP2 output port. The Blue ray is in the AVR port 3 Blue Ray input port.

Haven't even gotten to the blue ray playing yet, but I am not getting any sound out of my receiver playing anything on my TV. I do not know what input to select on the AVR as the Tv is an output port.

What am I missing here? The TV recognizes the Denon and I have set the Sound to this external device.

Also, is it correct to plug the Sony into the AVR or should it go directly into an HDMI port on the TV?

The player should go into the HDMI in port on the Denon. You then have to assign the input within the set up menu (below). The Denon needs to have a HDMI connection from Monitor 1 HDMI out to the correct ARC port on the TV.

On the Sony itself (I'm not a Sony owner, so bear with me). You will have to go in it's audio HDMI settings and select Bitstream as the audio output.

Input Assign​

By making connections as indicated by the input sources printed on the audio/video input connectors of this unit, you can just press one of the input source select buttons to easily play back audio or video from a connected device.
Please change the assignment of the HDMI input connector, digital audio input connector, analog audio input connector, component video input connector and video input connector when connecting an input source that differs from that printed to the audio/video input connectors of this unit.
Sets the audio input mode for each “INPUT MODE” source. “AUTO” is normally recommended for this setting. This automatically detects and plays signal input to this unit prioritized in the following order: HDMI
Open Left
DIGITAL
Open Left
ANALOG.
GUI InputAssign_S95E3

Plug the Blu-ray player into the AVR, plug the AVR output into the TV hdmi2 (arc) port.

Set the source of the AVR to Blu-ray, set the source on the TV to Hdmi2.

Audio and video is sent from Blu-ray to AVR. AVR plays sound and forwards the video to the TV to display. ARC is not used in this case.

If you use apps on the TV like Netflix. Make sure the sound setting is set to ARC within the settings menu. You'll also need to enable simlink.

Menu is shown around 3:50. It's for an older model but the process is similar.

In this case, video is displayed on the TV directly, and sound is sent to the AVR down the same cable, using ARC.

The player should go into the HDMI in port on the Denon. You then have to assign the input within the set up menu (below). The Denon needs to have a HDMI connection from Monitor 1 HDMI out to the correct ARC port on the TV.

On the Sony itself (I'm not a Sony owner, so bear with me). You will have to go in it's audio HDMI settings and select Bitstream as the audio output.

Input Assign​

By making connections as indicated by the input sources printed on the audio/video input connectors of this unit, you can just press one of the input source select buttons to easily play back audio or video from a connected device.
Please change the assignment of the HDMI input connector, digital audio input connector, analog audio input connector, component video input connector and video input connector when connecting an input source that differs from that printed to the audio/video input connectors of this unit.
Sets the audio input mode for each “INPUT MODE” source. “AUTO” is normally recommended for this setting. This automatically detects and plays signal input to this unit prioritized in the following order: HDMI
Open Left
DIGITAL
Open Left
ANALOG.
GUI InputAssign_S95E3

Input Assign​

Open Left
DIGITAL
Open Left
ANALOG.
GUI InputAssign_S95E3
thank you gibsy. That did the trick. had it in wrong HDMI output port.

Plug the Blu-ray player into the AVR, plug the AVR output into the TV hdmi2 (arc) port.

Set the source of the AVR to Blu-ray, set the source on the TV to Hdmi2.

Audio and video is sent from Blu-ray to AVR. AVR plays sound and forwards the video to the TV to display. ARC is not used in this case.

If you use apps on the TV like Netflix. Make sure the sound setting is set to ARC within the settings menu. You'll also need to enable simlink.

Menu is shown around 3:50. It's for an older model but the process is similar.

In this case, video is displayed on the TV directly, and sound is sent to the AVR down the same cable, using ARC.

thank you for this info. This is all so confusing to me though. Theis TV is new and looks great although I've heard by many, it needs major calibration to become super great looking. But I could never know how to do such a thing. So many parameters of which I have no clue what they do.

Input Assign​

Open Left
DIGITAL
Open Left
ANALOG.
GUI InputAssign_S95E3
It may seem counter intuitive, especially when you see the HDMI labels on the rear of Denon/Marantz receivers but, Denon themselves advise there is a benefit to connecting components to the nearest HDMI input to the HDMI output and then labelling accordingly using the on-board menu, as per your post.

If Sound United know this, why on earth do they insist on labelling everything backwards?!

Last edited:
thank you for this info. This is all so confusing to me though. Theis TV is new and looks great although I've heard by many, it needs major calibration to become super great looking. But I could never know how to do such a thing. So many parameters of which I have no clue what they do.
Your TV does not need ‘major calibration’.

The most colour and picture accurate preset on your TV is filmmaker mode. Try that first before you consider spending more money 👍.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom