1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to hide main's cables?

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by garrad, Mar 30, 2005.

1. garrad

garrad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I want to hide my power cables for all my equipment but don't know how best to go about this? Does anyone have experience of this and know how best to hide them?

2. samjet

samjet
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    if you are just running along walls have a look a the various sizes of trunking available in B&Q - this is what i used

hope this helps

3. garrad

garrad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Problem is, I want to hide the plugs and the extra cable from the back of the equipment, If I run trunking I may still have extra cable and it can't hide the plugs.

4. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    It's certainly going to be difficult, could you mount a power extension lead actually to whatever your equipment is housed in? Then with a bit of care you can route the equipment cables to the block along the shelf and support lines so hopefully they won't be too busy.

5. garrad

garrad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Unfortunatly I have Atacama Equinox stands which are just polls and glass, so I was hoping to run the power leads down the back leg and then hide them. I guess I could make a box, but wouldn't having the power leads in a block be dangerous to heat?

6. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    A well made extension lead shouldn't have any heat problems. You could always leave it open at the back facing the wall if you're worried and maybe even drill some vents in the top.

7. samjet

samjet
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    another option is to make another centre leg at the rear of your stand using stainless steel tube in say 2" diameter which could take all your cables - however i would avoid putting power and speaker cables next to each other (others may wish to comment on this observation)

this option would be nice and tidy but please do not attempt it if you are unable to tackle drilling and cutting stainless steel ( polished aluminium is another option that is easier to drill etc)

this cable problem seems to plague most of these nice glass stands - the open back etc makes cable management a nightmare :thumbsdow

something else that i have seen done is to put a false back on the stand using say smoked grey acrylic sheet - this hides things nicely and the holes needed to pass cables though are easily drilled provided to take care not to shatter the acrylic (important to drill on a firm base to avoid flexing)

hope this helps - feel free to ask for any more help

shame you do not live near me as i could probably do the work for you