1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to hide cables in walls / ceilings

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Building DIY' started by Rob_Quads, Apr 15, 2005.

1. Rob_Quads

Rob_Quads

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Anyone got any photo storyboard of how they have gone about doing the wiring in thier HT?

I am just about to purchase a new house which I am going to try and put a decent HT setup into the living room so need to work out the best way to do all the cabling.

Going to need to get cables (via walls/skirting/ceiling/floorboards) from hifi stack -> speakers/LCD on wall/Projector in roof.

Any advice etc would be appreciated on the best way of feeding it etc.

I have quite a few cables to run (Scartx1, HDMIx1, Component x1, Compositex1 + power)

Cheers

2. Gregory

Gregory

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Approach depends mostly on the construction of the house. E.g. is it plaster on brick walls or plasterboard on studwork? ceiling construction?

FWIW we had an exposed brickwork wall that we wanted to cover up anyway, so we put all the front cables in the inch gap between the fermacell boarding (like plasterboard but denser & you can screw things straight into it unlike plasterboard) and the wall, designing the studwork to suit (e.g. studwork on 3 inch centres behind the sub so the wall didn't vibrate). Back speakers were chased into the plaster wall in the 'normal' way.

Obvious additional point, but it is also worth putting in all the cables you could ever conceive of using, including spares. For example, I put in line level cabling to the main speaker points as well as a CAT5 based cable, so that I could use active speakers later if the urge took us.

Cheers

Greg

3. AVSreaper

AVSreaper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    There's a company that makes crown molding that has a chamber in it for running wires. Looks pretty good. If you're interested... I can try to dig up the link.

reaper

4. Rob_Quads

Rob_Quads

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Most of the room already has mouldings so i will not be using them.

I expect I will end up doing something along the lines of

[​IMG]