Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

How to hang fabric?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Building DIY' started by dazca1, Jan 16, 2005.

1. dazca1

dazca1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    I want to cover my ceiling in fabric and need to know how to keep it up there.
    If I built a frame all the way around the room and stapled velcro to it, then got the other side of the velcro stitched to the fabric, will this work? it needs to stay tight (no wrinkles) and stay up.

Or if anyone has anyother ideas

I was getting a suspended ceiling but now fancy this instead.

2. avanzato

avanzato

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +82
    All the stretch ceiling info I can find is for professionally installed systems, they use a channel system into which the fabric is pushed and it clamps it tightly. I have been unable to find a DIY version that's available in the UK. I don't think that velcro will hold the fabric well enough to stop wrinkles, stretching the fabric over battons like you would for a fabric wall would be the best option IMO. You will also need a fabric that is dimensionally stable and doesn't expand with the humidity of the air most natural fabrics will not be suitable.

3. dazca1

dazca1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Thanks for the info :thumbsup:

4. mrmcdean

mrmcdean

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    I used to run the office in a curtain workroom, the curtain fitters used to re upholster chairs every now and again and stretch fabric over picture frames etc.

Id agree that the staple gun route would perhaps the the way to go. How big is the room ? id imagine that you'd have a problem getting the fabric tight enough over a large area unless you put batons up at regular intervals and work accross although this would perhaps mean youd need to devise a way of covering the places you've secured in the middle of the ceiling ????

On the fabric front, try to avoid the natural looking fabrics (course fabrics or the stuff with slubs in etc.) as they tend to be more prone to stretching with time. Curtain lining fabric was pretty stable if I remember correctly if a little thin. Dont go for anything too thin as it may begin to rip around the staples.

One more point, if you do go down this route and decide to put most of the staples in when the frame is already on the ceiling you may want to think about getting one of the electric staple guns, I dont think they're too expensive and compared with firing a few hundred staples using a heavy duty gun over your head for a few hours it may be a good investment.

5. dazca1

dazca1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    I've got it sorted thanks :thumbsup:

I'm putting a framework around the room, then cutting some panels to fit the ceiling, then I'll strech and staple the fabric to the panels, attach them to the frame and roberts your fathers brother :smashin: