how to get travel insurance for 60+ to canada?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by unique, Dec 30, 2006.

1. unique

unique

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,211
    my parents are planning a trip to canada in august 2007 and my dad's friend told him that he looks up google to find insurance prices, so he's asked me to help out, but i don't know much about the subject

my dad is just over 60 but had a heart attack (or 2 in 2 days to be precise) and still takes medication for it. AFAIK he doesn't have any other medical issues. after speaking to people he thinks it might cost him £500 for insurance under his condition, and if so it wouldn't be worth him travelling, as they are only really going as the flights are about £400 and i think they are planning on staying with relatives

my mum is almost 60, and had breast cancer less than 5 years ago, but now fully recovered i think, but might still take pills for it. she still works but is never in the best of health at times, but nothing major, she always complains of the cold/flu/headache/sore back, you get the idea, but nothing you would call a medical condition i don't think.

does anyone know where to start to go looking for a good deal in insurance? or even ballpark figures? when i travel, as i'm comparitively young and healthy, to america i pay about £25/35 or something pretty insignificant compared to the cost of flights, so the idea of insurance costing more than flights is pretty crazy, altho i know hospital costs in the states can be crazy

i did suggest he called 3 different travel agents, a local place, a cheap flight place, and a big high street place, and ask them to find deals in flights and insurance, so he would know what info was required and get the idea of prices, so then i could check the prices onilne and get an idea what to look for. i also suggested with those prices he then gets in touch with his insurance company to see what price they could offer him, as i know they can usually do good prices but most people don't bother due to the relatively small normally price and they can't be bothered doing it when they can do it "all in one go" at the travel agent (like myself), but i didn't get the impression he was going to do this after i told him i didn't know where to start on the internet and he should call instead. i was explaining how easy it was to find out how to do almost anything on the internet the other day, so he asks me this and i tell him to do it by phone - go figure, but that's what i would do myself, and i think without knowing loads of details or my parents standing at the pc, i wouldn' get very far online, particularly as so many places require you to register to get prices and quotes

any help is appreciated, thanks

2. Woodywizz

Woodywizz
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,120
    Get him to try these.

Also just found these - which may be more appropriate.

3. stevefish69

stevefish69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +487
    Hi ya,

My parents with similar health conditions and age had problems getting reasonable priced cover.

They ended up going with Saga which woodywizz has already flagged up. Dad also said try Marks & Spencers who were quite reasonable too.

4. unique

unique

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,211
    thanks guys, i've given my parents those details to phone. if anyone else has any other suggestions it's appreciated, thanks.