• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

How to get the sound i want?

Damien

Current setup is Nait 2, Naim CD3.5/Naim HiCap with Aegis speakers.

I have posted about using an Airport Express some time ago and have borrow one, re-ripped my music on the iMac to Apple Lossless.

Streaming from the iMac to AE the analogue into Nait 2 sound OK, better with Apple Lossless but not great. I put the CDP back on and it was light years ahead. I know that if i add an external dac to the AE it will improve it but will it improve it enough to compete with the CD3.5/Hicap?

I know that i can spend a fortune on an external dac but if going the AE route and not convinced that a £1000 DAC will be significantly better than a Caiman due to the AE being in the mix.

Another option would be to ge a MacBook and external dac, this means i could connect via USB or Firewire (not sure which is better) or even opitcal and missing out the AE.

I am happy to sell the CD3.5/Hicap if i can get a quality that matches or exceeds the current setup. I would still be able to play to the CD in the Mac.

The AE is a very useful bit of kit and and i can control my music via the iPhone, sound is great when having a BBQ with a few people around but it does not cut it when i want to really listen to what is being played.

Cheers

D

Sluggster

I had a CD5x and HC2 and comparing that to using .wav files through an Macbook Pro to my SuperNait, the CD was miles better. I now have a nDAC and feed the Mac on to that with optical. I would say it now comes within 5 percent of my CD but still does not match it. A USB stick is the best I have managed through the nDAC.

I hope, with some tweeking to get on a par but think an cdx psu
will be needed to better it - lots of ackers!

Regards
S

Last edited:

amcluesent

Distinguished Member
>I am happy to sell the CD3.5/Hicap if i can get a quality that matches or exceeds the current setup<

Naim UnitiQute then? Amp, Radio, Streamer all in one. Or Uniti with it's on CD player and 50W rather than 30W

spile

Very happy with a Squeezebox Touch feeding into a Naim 32/250 pre/power amp combination. No external DAC!

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom