1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How To Get The Best Picture On ALIS

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by willberry, Aug 12, 2004.

1. willberry

willberry
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    >
    I have posted this on the progressive scan forum, but the traffic there is very low compared to here so I thought there might be more chance of information here.
    >

I have an Hitachi 42PD5200 (no need to jump in MAW, I bought it before I had even found this forum or knew what ALIS was, it is way too late to return it). Although I am reasonably happy with the picture and seem to suffer with fewer problem than many here, things can always be improved.

I thought about getting an IScanHD or something similar, but from what I can gather I will not be able to drive it at native resolution so I do not know if it will help much.

The panel is connected to a pace twin and rather old sony s725d DVD, so my question is I suppose whether an IScanHD would improve the image much by way of fixing any chroma bug and generaly better image processing. If the improvement is very apparent then I would gladly purchase an IScan, crystalio, whatever - but it would have to be pretty obvious since there are plenty of other things I can spend a grand on ;)

2. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Here I am, mate, where are you, I'd love to plug my iscan HD into your Hitachi, to further mine and everyone else's education.

The only way to find out what works with these things is to try it. If you are at the opposite end of the country, find yourself a local shop who will do a try before you buy.

3. willberry

willberry
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Unfortunately I am in Aberdeen and I suspect my nearest 'local' shop will be some distance away...

4. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Edinburgh, Mr Fernand I should think.

5. gam

gam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +487
    hi there

i've had an iscan hd plugged into an hitachi for the last few months

for me the improvement for sky+ in particular is very noticeable with apparent depth and clarity being added to the image but as said already you would be better trying one for yourself to see if the improvement seen justifies the cost of it for you

for dvd.... not very noticeable difference on ntsc material but a slight improvement to me on pal stuff but your player may be different

as for native resolution.... if you only have PAL sources you can get it ok via dvi although you can notice some jerkyness on pans from time to time but no go for NTSC sources unless you change the framerate to 50hz then it gets a bit too jerky for my liking all the time. Or you can get NTSC through the vga at native resoltion but PAL displays but not in the center of screen.

For me xga (either dvi or vga) or 1080i (dvi) on the iscan are the best with the iscans test patterns..... with actual viewing 1080i (after a bit of fiddling) is more preferable although neither would be called perfect as each have good and bad points when panning is involved

6. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,779
  7. dUnKle

dUnKle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,319
    Well I am now over the moon with my picture on my 5200

Just had XBOX chipped and getting high def from that

DVD and SKY+ are fantastic and no clever extras been purchased - just been patient and allowed it to settle and also calibrated it

Turn OFF colour management and check my settings on this very forum

8. usman24

usman24

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    Hi! I also have a 5200 hitachi but I do have some picture gremlins. I seem to get a lot greenish dot an dark areas on most dvds I play. I have tried reducing brightness to get rid of this problem but the rest of the picture seems too dark. I have even tried reducing colour temperature etc. which helps but it still doesn't look right? Daylight scenes look much better incomparision. Any advice you could give me?

9. dUnKle

dUnKle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,319
    Yep

Turn down brightness and contrast - niether need to be above 5 but you are better with a calibration disc

next turn OFF colour management - this made the biggest difference on my set

set the colour value to your liking and then turn down the values for green and red

Search under my name and 5200 for more info

10. Lewdannie

Lewdannie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It's good to hear that there are other happy campers out there....

There have been some very loud (and influential) postings on these forums and after reading them, one would wonder why on earth you would bother with a Hitachi.

I researched for 12 months (both on and off this forum) before buying my 5200 a couple of months ago. Fact is, for the money (and I got a killer price) this set could not be beaten. Most users, like me, need a CRT replacement that is to be used in the lounge room by the whole family. I know there are folk who post to this forum who want the best in home cinema and will do anything to squeeze out that last 2-3%. Perhaps they will not be satisfied with the Hitachi….but jeez….I am!

I think it might be a mistake to think that postings on this forum are a true indication of customer satisfaction. Hitachi sells an awful lot of these sets around the world and most owners would have never heard of this forum. It would be nice to have some “science” regarding ACTUAL return rates as a percentage of total sales and compare that to other “leading brands”. MAW often throws around quite high figures, but as I understand it, he doesn’t sell Hitachi any more (and has never sold the 5000 series).

Finally, I am also concerned that issues reported to be associated with the 3000 series are also now attributed to the 5000 series (I too followed the “plasma gas charging fault” thread with interest…and wasn’t it agreed that this was screen burn?). I don’t recall people lumping the deficiencies identified with the Panny 5 in with the Panny 6.

I am all for free and open discussion, I just wonder whether folk like me are reluctant to post to this forum, because they are worried they will be ridiculed for their choice of screen. Note the opening post to this forum.

Just a thought

Lewdannie

11. johndon

johndon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +88
    Lewdannie,

I'm now a satisified Hitachi 5300 customer.

Many of the posts in the previous threads were from me due to the problems I had with my 42PD3000 - whilst the picture quality was IMHO excellent on the set I had the problems I had (in particular the buzzing) outweighed the good things hence the reason I, eventually, got Hitachi to change the screen for the 5300.

I've had the 5300 for 3 weeks now and I am delighted with it - picture quality is as good as it was before and this new screen doesn't exhibit any of the problems of the previous one.

Whilst there are undoubtedly better screens out there, for a straight TV replacement that's easy to use and good value for money, I think it's an excellent screen.

John