1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to get the best from my sub.

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by JIT, Jul 12, 2002.

1. JIT

JIT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Could anyone give me some advice on how to get the best performance from my Paradigm PS1000.

2. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +856
    Hi

Getting the placement right is probably the starting point. Put the sub at the listening position, place some music with decent bass and then wander round the room and find the spot that has the tightest, fastest bass. When you´ve found it, plonk the sub there.

Obviously to some extent you´ll be limited by aesthetics, can´t have the sub in the middle of the lounge! The Paradigm works best away from a wall as its ports are at the rear it can sound boomy when too near walls. Also worth playing around with the phase setting which can have an affect on the overall sound.

3. EvilMudge

EvilMudge

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Or...

This is going to sound crazy, but here goes:

Place the sub as close to the axis that seperates your front speakers (I know that isn't always easy, but the closer you can get it the easier) as you can.
    Aim the ports at the back towards the nearest wall (theoretically the one behind the front speakers, but in my case I use the side wall.)
    Move the sub so that there's about one foot seperation between the sub and the wall it's aimed at.
    This is where things get tricky.
    Put on some bass heavy music (I use Hard House - if the sub is going to boom, it will boom with that kind of thing).
    Turn the volume up to about half way - it will probably make the most awful noise - like being in a club with a bad sound system.
    Sit on the top of the sub (strange but true) - you should be able to feel the bass coming through - the Paradigm cabinet isn't especially well damped - and turn the phase control until the boominess reaches a tolerable level. Then turn the volume down so that the sub's influence is barely noticeable.

Believe it or not this actually works quite well with a PS-1000! You can still hear/feel even the lowest tones on a test CD.