1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to get sound from PC to HDMI TV?

Discussion in 'Computer Components' started by markav, Oct 26, 2005.

1. markav

markav
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Planning to buy a large LCD tele to hook up to my Dell GX260 MCE (Sony Bravia looking favourite so far).

I think I can get a DVI-HDMI lead to conect the ATI/PowerColow video card, but how do I get the sound in?

Would an DVI-HDMI cable have a seperate lead to feed sound into the HDMI (HDMI is audio + video, right)?

What audio inputs will HDMI take? Stereo, PCM digital etc?

ATM I have a scart widget plugged into the old TV that has sockets for s-video and audio L and R, which is fed from the Dells onboard audio-out mini-DIN (not exactly hi-fi!). Guess I should buy a sound card to fit in the last remaining PCI slot...

Thanks,

Mark.

2. DanH

DanH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    The LCD should have an input for standard stereo. (Check the manual if you can find one online)
    You can then just use the correct cable from the PC line out (from motherboard or soundcard) to the correct input on the LCD. In my case, the sound input for DVI is a 3.5mm stereo jack socket (same as pc output), but on some LCDs you will find it is left and right phono sockets. You would just need the correct cable (in this case 3.5mm jack to 2 RCA/phono cables).

3. markav

markav
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Dan, I can see that would be ideal where the TV had a (DVI + audio jacks) input.

But I suspect it wont work with HDMI. If the TV is taking the video signal from the HDMI input, wont it require the audio from the same input?

4. DanH

DanH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    You know, I never even gave that a thought. I apologise.
    After a good search on google i cannot find any such cable that would enable you to input an external sound input into the HDMI socket along with the video.
    But, according to my user manual (Hitachi 32LD7200) it states that if using a DVI-HDMI cable, to use the AV4 input (component) for the sound (the usual 2 phono sockets).

I did have a quick look at the Sony UK site and cant find an online manual for one of the new Bravias, so it may be a good idea to e-mail them and request one, or just ask them straight off if this is something that it supports.

5. markav

markav
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Dan,

That's extremely kinnd of you to have gone to so much trouble - many thanks.

I also searched in vain for a DVI-HDMI cable that also took a sound feed.

I'm reassured that Hitachi have a clearly-stated answer and suspect other makes will do the same. I'll be sure to ask when I visit the Sony shop for a look-see. (and then e-mail Sony when the shop don't know...!)

Thanks again,

Mark

6. Snash

Snash
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The Toshiba WLT58 LCDs have two HDMI ports and beside each one there is a dual phono (red & white) for sound, as well as the single stereo line in to be used along with the VGA connection.

7. Skunkpipe

Skunkpipe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The Sharp Aquos range is the same - 3.5mm stereo jack input for analogue sound

8. captain_caveman

captain_caveman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've recently ordered a Dell W3202 32" LCD for use with my Media Center PC (with Powercolor X600 Pro).

The TV has the full range of video inputs (DVI, HDMI, VGA, SCART, etc...) so I am currently intriged as to how I am going to hook up the sound from my ASUS motherboard.

I will post the results when the TV arrives.