Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

How to get Sony software upgrade

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by alim, Nov 25, 2004.

1. alim

alim

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I noticed that Sony are doing a software upgrade for their iDTVs. I have a KD36NX200U and want to get this upgrade. Can someone please tell me if I will receive it by just leaving the tv in standby mode or whether the set has to be switched on and a picture showing?

Thanks.

2. JohnW14

JohnW14

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Alim

The television has to be left on and showing a channel on multiplex 1 (i.e. BBC1, BBC2, or News 24) (Also either BBc3 or BBC4 but I cannot remember which one).

I tend to leave it on a BBC channel when I go to bed and set the timer to turn it off 2 hours later. Although the literature says it takes about 15 minutes, better to be safe . . .

3. alim

alim

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks very much for the advice. I will try this tonight.

4. alim

alim

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I left it on last night from about 7:00pm but when I checked the software version this morning it still said 3.0. I've come to work and still left it on so I am hopeful it will be done when I get home tonight.

5. JohnW14

JohnW14

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You probably need to turn the set off using the button (not stand-by) to force it to use the upgraded software.

6. LDJ

LDJ

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    how do you know this?
    any idea on what the upgrade does?

7. alim

alim

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok I'll try this when I get home from work today. For some reason I didn't get an email from AVFORUMS when you posted a reply to my response.

One of the other threads said that Sony were transmitting a software upgrade between 25/11 and 28/11. I'm afraid I don't know what the upgrade will do for my tv. I'm hoping it might give me the 7 day EPG. I did try to phone Sony yesterday to find out but their line was continually engaged.

8. Tight Git

Tight Git

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +597
    Alim,

My understanding is that the various manufacturers have to pay for "air-time" in order to send these software upgrades and so it doesn't happen very often.

As IDTV's will not necessarily have the latest software, presumably they send an "overall" update in order to bring everybody up to speed.

Thus, it's safe to update your software, even if you're not sure exactly what you're going to get!

9. red16v

red16v

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
  10. alim

alim

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Switching the tv off and then on did the trick. Version 3.50[GB] is now showing in my set-up screen. Haven't noticed any other differences although I have to admit I don't watch much tv on this particular set.

Thanks for your help.

11. jelly

jelly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    IVE GOT THE SAME TV AND IM NOT SURE WHICH SOFTWARE MINE HAS GOT WHAT DOES THIS TRICK DO DOES IT IMPROVE THE SET IN ANY WAY soz 4 shoutin

12. alim

alim

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm at work so can't remember full details on how to find out the software version. Basically use the I+ button on the remote. Then select the Set-up option (Blue tab). Then select Detailed set-up from the menu and I think you finally select the System Information option and the version is then displayed. Ignore the "Loader" version number. It's the other one you want.

As I said I don't watch much tv so can't tell what improvements have been made. I'll try phoning Sony next week to see what they say and if it is usesful I will post back here.

13. jelly

jelly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    i have
    version 1.0.4
    loader1.0.
    but i have no aerial do i need 1???
    have sky tho