• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

How to get Sky HD in bedroom HD TV without multiroom

brad123

Prominent Member
Im thinking of getting multiroom in my bedroom to get sky hd for my hd bedroom tv, at the moment i use a video sender to send a signal from my hd box downstairs but htis wont be in hd, so is there any other way to do this apart from get sky multiroom and alslo if i have to get multiroom if i sky+ a programme upstairs will it appear on the planner downstairs for my other box? Whats the cheapest way to get sky hd multiroom please.

Broadz

Distinguished Member
To achieve it the way you currently do (not multiroom, but only able to view the same programme upstairs as what is showing downstairs) you would need a HDMI splitter (or an older Thomson box which supports two high definition outputs). Feed a single HDMI cable from the HD box into the splitter - then two HDMI cables out of the splitter and into your two high definition televisions.

If you can get hold of a Thomson box that supports both HDMI and component out - feed one TV from the HDMI output, the other from the component plus RCA stereo outs.

Both options obviously require fairly long cables running to the remote TV.

Multiroom, on top of the purchase price of the second HD box, will cost you an extra £19.50 - soon to move up to £20 - per month on top of what you currently pay. £9.75 for multiroom, £9.75 for a second HD Pack. And both boxes will need to be permanently connected to the same phoneline. But they will allow you to watch and record different channels upstairs to what the downstairs box is watching/recording.

If you go down the multiroom route you won't be able to watch items from the planner downstairs on your upstairs TV - or vice versa - unless you record the same programmes on both boxes. The boxes will run independently of each other.

markcd

Standard Member
I have a HDMI splitter connected to my Sky +HD box downstairs, and a 20m HDMI cable running up the wall into my bedroom - works great. I think it cost about £90 for both items - but, you also need a coax cable in the same run to support the magic eye so you can change Sky channels etc.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom