How to get rid of maggots!!

p1tse

Prominent Member
Reaction score
I hate creepy crawlys at the best of time but our home outside wheelie black bin has full of maggots.

Unfortunately we had rubbish bags in there already so I emptied it and put everything in a couple of black big bin bags and then cleaned out the bin with bleach.

However wife has just rang me saying the bin is crawling with them again, so my stupidity thinking they will be locked inside the new bags were stupid!

So I'm going to have to clean it out again but will have to fill the bin again with what's in it already, what's the best way to clean the bin and kill the current maggots?

When is the next collection? I think the only way to get rid of them for sure is to start with an empty bin, bleach it out and start from scratch.

Next bin isn't until Monday!
Apparently they are back on the outside

I do plan to clean it out again when it gets emptied
But trying to kill the batch inside first!

Will bins get taken when maggots all over it on outside?
Just not pleasant with young kids

Fortunately I can probably put it away from house next to garage

We had similar infestation in our black bin a few weeks ago, we were on holiday and left a bag in for a week. Lid was alive with them.
We emptied the bin and got a small brush to sweep them all off the bin and onto the floor and step on them. Only way to be sure. After an hour repeat for any that you miss.
Not nice or pretty, but guaranteed to work.

Boiling water will kill the maggots and any chrysalis.

Why get rid of them? they're a good source of protein, and you can also use them to clean out wounds :smashin:

Farm 432 machine uses maggots to 'grow your own protein at home' | Mail Online

The Farm 432 device can harvest half a kilogram of larvae every week, which is enough for two meals.

She describes the cooked larvae as smelling like starchy potatoes with a nutty and meaty taste.

Sounds like you're doing better, so might cut down the regular weekly food shop.
Also wound treatment:

Maggot therapy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

After cleaning bin out with hot soapy water, get some BIN BUDDY and sprinkle over the bottom of the bin:smashin:

martin

We've got the same. I left the lid open to let the heat and moisture out (seemed to help), plus moved the bin into the open. They all started dropping off into the grass or ended up in the digestive tract of some birds. Result either way!

I have the same problem. It's not surprising though with the summer wh have had, and two weekly collections. Apparently dog shampoo works or a lice treatment.

Me, i just used Jeyes fluid.

Jeyes fluid, do supermarkets sell this?

After cleaning bin out with hot soapy water, get some BIN BUDDY and sprinkle over the bottom of the bin:smashin:

martin

Just googled bin buddy. Think a trip to asda I saw they have it

What's an example of chrysalis?
butterfly pupae (see pics on google ... a stage in between caterpillar and butterfly)

- unless he was on about getting rid of some old records ;)

Last edited:
Another tip after cleaning the bin is to put sawdust or shavings in the bottom.
This helps stop moisture and slime accumulating and makes it easy to clean after emptying.

Just googled bin buddy. Think a trip to asda I saw they have it

i use it every week, i used to get maggots but this stuff keeps all bugs away. and it makes your bin smell nice:rotfl:

Just remember to wash your bin every time its emptied and use this stuff

martin

All you guys with bin-cleaning tips, I'm surprised you don't have a service like ours.
There's a local company that comes round once a month, on the same day as your bin gets emptied. For £2.50 a month they clean the bin and leave it smelling lemony fresh.
They have a pressure washer and bin-lifting mechanism mounted on a flatbed-type vehicle.

Well worth the money as it means we never have to worry about the bin, or perform unpleasant cleaning tasks ourselves.

Is our area unique in this? if so, somebody's missing a trick - I'll bet the company makes a decent amount of money from it.

We've recently had our waste collection separated and now have a food bin for all organic waste (the bin for organic waste is small and fully sealed) - it's made a big difference to the smell factor.

I chuck a lot of mine in my compost bin, and the moist crumbly rich smelly stuff I get from the bottom is perfect for the garden (only smells when removed and not for that long after spreading)

All you guys with bin-cleaning tips, I'm surprised you don't have a service like ours.
There's a local company that comes round once a month, on the same day as your bin gets emptied. For £2.50 a month they clean the bin and leave it smelling lemony fresh.
They have a pressure washer and bin-lifting mechanism mounted on a flatbed-type vehicle.

Well worth the money as it means we never have to worry about the bin, or perform unpleasant cleaning tasks ourselves.

Is our area unique in this? if so, somebody's missing a trick - I'll bet the company makes a decent amount of money from it.

my area has this service, but our bin is emptied twice a month so i clean it twice instead of just the once. and i put in bin buddy to kill wasps and flies

martin

Fire

my area has this service, but our bin is emptied twice a month so i clean it twice instead of just the once. and i put in bin buddy to kill wasps and flies

martin
We don't have much choice on frequency. The bins are emptied weekly, but the cleaning company only do each street monthly. But that seems to be enough to keep ours clean. Possibly because we hardly create any food waste?

EDIT: Ah I see what you mean - you do it yourself instead of using the cleaning service?
I'm usually one to save cash wherever possible, but there are some times when the cost is justified. Such as saving my time, dignity and delicate nasal passages by not having to clean the bin!

Last edited:
I bleach mine and spray it out with the hose after every collection.

Sent from my XT910 using Tapatalk 2

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom