1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to get past noggins!

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Building DIY' started by zenki200, Jan 11, 2005.

1. zenki200

zenki200

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I want to mount my fronts speakers either side of my LCD screen but at that height they will be above where the wooden noggins will be in the stud work wall. It's going to be a right kerfuffle to run the cables up into the loft and then down again to get back to the receiver so is there an relatively mess free way to get the cables through/around the noggins and down to the receiver?

2. Flimber

Flimber
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,476
    A very long drill bit poked in from above the stud wall to make holes in the noggins through which you can pass a lead wire which you can then use to pull the speaker cables through. IYSWIM :)

Mike.

3. BestGear

BestGear

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    You may find that the noggins do not actually meet the plasterboard at both sides, thus leaving a gap somewhere for the cables to pass.

Alternativley, just open the wall up above and below the noggin and feed the cables in, out and up... obvioyusly you need to replaster the hole you just created. Just get the decorating and cable run planning done!!

I would suggest anyone doing this buys one of the fibreglass rod kits (even Screwfix do them now). They make any cable run much easier and a one man job. Gone are the coathanger days!!!

Have fun...

D