Question How to get non Smart TV to screen mirror?

I'mStuckInMyTV!

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi there.

I've recently bought a Sony Bravia KDL40R453C which I'm very happy with - even the sound, traditionally the weak link in a flat screen TV, is decent (although I'll still probably get a soundbar at some point so any suggestions are welcome). However since it's not a Smart TV, I'm unable to use screen mirroring, and get what's on my PC or Lenovo Tablet to display on my brand new 40in TV.

I'm aware that some adapters or set top/roku boxes effectively turn your TV into a Smart TV - is this accurate? If so, which is the best one to get in order to be able to watch what's on my PC/Tablet on my TV?

Please, no replies asking why I didn't just buy a Smart TV. Firstly, they're more expensive, secondly from what I can see, they can infringe your privacy and thirdly I've read articles that state the software updates aren't very good and a 'Smart TV' can end up being left behind. Overall going by what I've read, it seems the best way to achieve the same results as a Smart TV is to get some sort of set top box.

Many thanks in advance.

Anyone at all?

Hi there, you could go down the Chromecast route to mirror from PC, Chrome has some plugins to mirror over to Chromecast.
There's usually some good offers with Chromecast too such as free movie rentals, Google Play credit etc.
See the offer at Tesco Direct, £30 +250 clubcard points, if you have points to spend then double them up, so this would cost £15 in points +250 points returned to clubcard Tesco direct: Google Chromecast

Last edited:
Thanks! Would that enable me to watch Sky Go wirelessly from my PC/tablet, or to watch tablet content on my TV?

As Superfly guy said, the chromecast is a wonderful bit a of kit! You would be able to stream media from most devices. As for Sky Go, after having a look around it looks like you're unable to actually mirror Sky Go.

Hi there, thanks for your reply. What about an Amazon Fire Stick or Now TV Box; would either of those enable me to stream from my tablet? Incidentally - I should've clarified this from the start - my tablet is a Lenovo A10-70 Android tablet and definitely supports screen mirroring. Thanks for your help guys.

Edit: One of the things that had crossed my mind is how quickly screen mirroring might drain the tablet's battery? At least with a Now TV or Fire Stick, I can use that for things like BBCPlayer.

Last edited:
Edit: One of the things that had crossed my mind is how quickly screen mirroring might drain the tablet's battery? At least with a Now TV or Fire Stick, I can use that for things like BBCPlayer.

Using a Chromecast to put BBC iPlayer on the TV will not drain the battery of a phone or tablet. You use the appropriate BBC App to set up the Chromecast which then links to the internet independently. You are not actually 'mirroring' or streaming via the tablet. This enables the picture to be HD regardless of the quality of the tablet/phone screen. The tablet is just used to make your chosen selection and tell the Chromecast what to do. In fact if you turn off the tablet the programme will continue. The same applies to Channel 4 (which only got Chromecast support this week) and You Tube as well as other streaming services. I don't know if the same principle applies to Now TV and Amazon devices.

As far as Sky Go is concerned you can get an App from Play Store, but it is not highly rated and is not supported by Chromecast. Users of Android phones and tablets can 'mirror' their screens but you need to be using Lollipop or Marshmallow O/S. Unless it has been updated your Levano is a 4.2 Jellybean device.

Last edited:
One further suggestion: Asus Google Nexus Player. A bit expensive but well worth it; I liked mine so much I bought another for the bedroom. Updated themselves to Marshmallow before my Nexus 6 phone and got the November security patch quickly.

OP - Have you had any success with USB external drives yet?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom