How to get IR signal to hidden components without adding wires

Sonofabeesting

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi

So I finally put together all the equipment in my new house (included channeling a hole in the floor to get HDMI cables etc in) but I have hit a problem.

Being a new dad I didnt want anything on display. So I have just the TV/surround sound on display then there is a small space which houses all my kit behind the sofa.

The issue is that I have to point the remote at the components behind the sofa and it only works from a few selected places in the room.

So I am looking for a way to point my remote at the TV and have the signal increased/bounced back towards my equipment. I can not lift the flooring and I dont want cables drapped across the floor.

Is this possible??

Thanks

There is a wide range of range of wireless IR Extenders.

Good idea but my guess is that he has other things to spend that kind of money on.;)

Thanks brookheather that was the sort of thing I need. Expensive but I will use the xmas bonus and keep the cost from the wife!

You can achieve the same thing with any IR extender for a fraction of the price.

Really??

The components are all completely hidden with a sofa in the way. I thought this would rule out ir?

That's the idea of an IR extender. They're usually for sending the remote control from one room to another but of course that can be done within the same room.

Don't bother with ir extenders I've jus been trying a few and sub £50 they're pointless and ur still using x amount of remotes do what I've jus done and buy a blemished box version of the harmony 900 direct with Logitech with full 2 year warranty may have slight aesthetic marks but mine didn't! And they a bargain at £137 and the blasters work fantastically! Thanks to logi for helpin me decide to go this way too :)

You're welcome and good to hear it's a success but an IR extender from £20 up can do the same thing!
Replacing all the other remotes IS an advantage of universals though, so the 900 gives you both facilities.

Well I did try maplins £30 extender and the hq one from amazon n managed about a day with each as the input lag was so great something that jus doesn't happen with the harmony, instantaneous! And a bargain as a blemished box as otherwise I was lookin at a one and 3rd party extender which worked out about the same cost

Yeah used a IR extender for a while (centre speaker blocked TV IR window) No problem, worked fine, both was under the TV, wire from the unit stuck on the TV window.

Cheaper than buying a RF remote, and you'll need RF to IR blaster anyway.

This sort of thing does the job without any of those delays - Powermid - but at the current remarkably low price of the 900 it IS a good alternative.

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
This sort of thing does the job without any of those delays - Powermid - but at the current remarkably low price of the 900 it IS a good alternative.
I tried the Powermid but it was unreliable and seemed to be affected by the reflection of my plasma screen in the window opposite - the red light was permanently on rather than just when I was using my remote control. It is also a bit large and ugly - there really is no comparison to a Harmony 900.

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
The old pyramid shaped extenders ARE rather large but the newer ones like my link are quite neat and tidy.
I agree of course about the 900, as it's the Harmony that gets the most use by me.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom