1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to get into or reset an NT4 Workstation

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by Mark Ward, Aug 25, 2004.

1. Mark Ward

Mark Ward

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Hunting around at work for a suitable PC to use for file storage I found a PIII 450 machine that will be just right for the job.

Problem is that I have no idea of the admin password and our entire network IP range & domain structure has changed since this PC was used last, so not any chance of connecting to it using a domain admin.

Simply put, can I "reset" somehow to allow local machine access without having to completely re-install NT4? The machine is up to SP5 with all security fixes and I really could do with a simple fix.

There's nothing on the machine that's important and I'll be using it purely as a media server.

Cheers,

Mark.

2. cwick

cwick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    Mark,

Had a similar problem not so long ago, I used the bootdisk / registry tool from here ...

http://home.eunet.no/~pnordahl/ntpasswd/

... had to change the admin password to blank, rather than any particular string, but it worked fine after that.

Cheers, Carl.

3. Mark Ward

Mark Ward

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    That looks ideal!:)

I'll post how I get on.

Cheers,

Mark.

4. Mark Ward

Mark Ward

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Didn't work for me unfortunately, it went through all the questions and appeared to work ok, but on a re-boot the password wasn't reset so I had to re-install. Thanks anyway.

All done re-installing, then on trying a 250gb drive I find out that NT4 can't recognise large drive (over 130 odd Gb I think). :rolleyes:

Mark.

5. mjn

mjn
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,179
    Use the locksmith feature on Winternals software!!

And make sure you've got SP6a on NT, then i think you get large drive support.

6. Mark Ward

Mark Ward

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    That looks like a useful tool but at $140US for a 5 day licence I think I'd rather buy an OEM XP for the machine:)

I do have SP6a installed. but thinking about it I probably didn't at the point I tried the 250gb drive. Will try again, Thanks :smashin:

Mark.

7. mjn

mjn
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,179
    Yeah, Winternals a very useful tool......work here invested in a copy...and its saved our bacon a few times!!

8. Setenza

Setenza

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +226
    May I ask why you're still using NT4? Is it out of personal preference? It is a great O/S in some respects, but it's lack of support for so many new products has made it obsolete. That plus the lack of further tech support from MS.

9. Mark Ward

Mark Ward

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Basically I was looking for an extra PC to put up to 4 x 250gb HDDs into for extra Movie/Music for "on-demand" jukebox storage. The PC merely has to hold the data so which O/S isn't important.

I found the NT4 machine at work and as NT4 uses NTFS it was ideal for moving some HDDs from a frequantly used PC to this new storage machine. It was also the right price ;)

Eventually I will buy a dedicated server machine and will then buy XP-Pro for it. I really don't need the extra network features of Windows Server O/S's.

BTW. The 250gb drives didn't work with NT4SP6a :( so I've temporarily liberated an XP machine for the time being. The NT4 machine will now go back to my office all patched up.

Mark.