• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

How to get internet connection to garden cabins?

Paulseb

Novice Member
I have built a cabin about 50' down my garden and am wondering how to connect up computer and phone from house to cabin.
I'm hoping to be able to do it myself and without underground heavy-duty cables etc.
Any ideas?

EndlessWaves

Distinguished Member
Ethernet cable is the cheapest, fastest and most reliable option so that's definitely the way to go. Can you not just run it alongside the mains cable when you put that in?

Paulseb

Novice Member
Unfortunately the power cable was interred 2 years ago when the cabin was built!!

The power cable way probably won't work as the line to the cabin is separate from the house system so I believe it won't carry the internet out to the cabin. ??

An ethernet cable would have to be covered and my fence is a bit ropey for attaching stuff to.

Ataripower

Prominent Member
Unfortunately the power cable was interred 2 years ago when the cabin was built!!

The power cable way probably won't work as the line to the cabin is separate from the house system so I believe it won't carry the internet out to the cabin. ??

An ethernet cable would have to be covered and my fence is a bit ropey for attaching stuff to.
Mine also uses a separate fuse box which is connected to the main unit and it works just fine

Paulseb

Novice Member
Interesting!! Must try this! Will call Devolo.
Did you research the brand? No prices given own Devolo's website.
Do you have a landline out to your cabin? How could a phone be installed?
Thanks so much for your help.

Stiggy

Distinguished Member
Interesting!! Must try this! Will call Devolo.
Did you research the brand? No prices given own Devolo's website.
Do you have a landline out to your cabin? How could a phone be installed?
Thanks so much for your help.
Order some PowerLine adaptors on Amazon, and if they don't work, send them back.

As for phone, a DECT phone might stretch that far.

Paulseb

Novice Member
Thanks.
If there were 2 cabins on the same power line from the house,with a computer in each, would you need 2 plugs and ethernet cables + one back in the house near the router?

The latest video from AVForums

CES 2023 Round Up: New TV Lineups for 2023 from LG, Samsung, Panasonic, Hisense & TCL
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom