How to get in the COD5 BETA?

Just to clarify: Game are NOT sending out codes for the beta itself. The codes from Game will enable you access to the restricted "firsttofight" area of the callofduty.com website. From here you will get a token to download the beta from the Xbox Live marketplace, not from Game.

Do Game take the money straight away when you pre-order?

Nope. There's an FAQ somewhere on their site that confirms this, I think. Can't post the link though, I'm afraid, as I can't on to the Game site from work (what can I say? I'm not very busy at the moment!).

Yeah Eurogamer will be offering them soon (I heard that Game will be giving theirs out tomorrow, so hopefully Eurogamer will too). You have to be registered with them though, so all you lot must not register so I can get my code :p

Hi have only just started playing cod4, so don't know about all of this. So what does BETA stand for and what does it do??

Hi have only just started playing cod4, so don't know about all of this. So what does BETA stand for and what does it do??

its basically a pre production copy of the multiplayer of COD 5. The developers get to test the game in a real xbox live situation. They can then tweak the game if there are any teathing probs prior to full release.

They did it with COD 4 MP. I was lucky to get a code and was able to play MP before COD 4 was released. The beta only lasts for a week or so before it is automatically deleted

The COD4 beta was awesome. It didn't take long to realise it was going to be a killer game.

Thanks for that so its to get to play the game first sort of thing. So if i wait till it comes out, i will be getting the same game as you guys?? Do you think it will be as good as cod4 as i say i am just starting playing and think it is great. I am crap at playing it though.

The beta is usually a stripped down version of the multiplayer - only 2 maps and a few weapons for example. It's just so the developers can get an idea how well it performs online in real-world situations with real players and real connections (not LAN).

If there are framerate issues, or lag/connection problems, they have time to tweak the game or servers to ensure it is as bug-free as possible once the official release date arrives.

All your player progress in the beta doesn't carry over to the main game, so once the full version comes out, nobody will have an advantage over newcomers other than experience with the beta maps.

I see thanks for that. Do think it is going to be a better game???

The beta is usually a stripped down version of the multiplayer - only 2 maps and a few weapons for example. It's just so the developers can get an idea how well it performs online in real-world situations with real players and real connections (not LAN).

If there are framerate issues, or lag/connection problems, they have time to tweak the game or servers to ensure it is as bug-free as possible once the official release date arrives.

All your player progress in the beta doesn't carry over to the main game, so once the full version comes out, nobody will have an advantage over newcomers other than experience with the beta maps.

"Beta" is the stage of development the game is at. The main stages are pre-alpha, alpha, and beta; then it gets tweaked and goes to final code. There's a bit more to it than that, but basically that's what a beta stage is.

Like CoD4, this actually seems to be more an exercise in promoting the game than it does in really tweaking the system (there is almost no window between the end of beta and the full game's release, and certainly not enough to get a patch past Microsoft's QA department). The servers will get a decent run-out, though.

The CoD4 beta had three maps and was capped at level 16, I think (this was raised to 21 or something later on during the beta).

As to whether it'll be better than CoD4... Who knows? It's doubtful, to be honest, but Treyarch may surprise us. I think it's looks good, though, and may at least match (if not surpass) CoD4.

It certainly look like the best CoD Treyarch have done, here's hoping.

Anyone know if the control scheme will be identical? CoD4 easily has one of the best default setups out there.

It certainly look like the best CoD Treyarch have done, here's hoping.

Anyone know if the control scheme will be identical? CoD4 easily has one of the best default setups out there.

COD3 was near identical to COD4 and I would expect COD5 to be very similar as well.

So it may not be "identical" but 95% should be the same.

Nice one, I don't remember the control scheme for CoD3 as I didn't have it long.

To say I initially slated this game, I'm really looking forward to it now. Don't let me down, Treyarch!

wondering if there's any OTHER ways to get the Beta apart from Eurogamers or GAME?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom