Quantcast

How to get Hi-Def Bluray Audio from my setup - Help Required

BobbyMac

Banned
Current Kit

Panasonic TH-PV50V30 Plasma (Non-Hdmi - VGA & Component Only)
Lumagen HDQ Scaler
Dreambox DVB800 HD PVR (Clone - Scart, Optical & DVI)
Anthem MRX 300 Amplifier (Component / HDMI & Optical)
Sony BDP-480 Bluray / SACD Player (HDMI)
Fat PS3 (HDMI / Optical)
Xbox 360 Slim (HDMI / Optical)

Obviously satellite HD transmissions are limited to 5.1 Dolby, so can simply pass the Dreambox video through the Lumagen Scaler and pass the audio from the Dreambox to the Anthem AMP

However I plan on playing Bluray media through my Sony BDP and either HTPC or Media Streamer (which has still to be bought)

What's the best way to pass a 1080i picture to my Panny Plasma & pass DTS-HD etc through my Bluray Player/HTPC/Media Player?

Avi

Distinguished Member
Current Kit

Panasonic TH-PV50V30 Plasma (Non-Hdmi - VGA & Component Only)
Lumagen HDQ Scaler
Dreambox DVB800 HD PVR (Clone - Scart, Optical & DVI)
Anthem MRX 300 Amplifier (Component / HDMI & Optical)
Sony BDP-480 Bluray / SACD Player (HDMI)
Fat PS3 (HDMI / Optical)
Xbox 360 Slim (HDMI / Optical)

Obviously satellite HD transmissions are limited to 5.1 Dolby, so can simply pass the Dreambox video through the Lumagen Scaler and pass the audio from the Dreambox to the Anthem AMP

However I plan on playing Bluray media through my Sony BDP and either HTPC or Media Streamer (which has still to be bought)

What's the best way to pass a 1080i picture to my Panny Plasma & pass DTS-HD etc through my Bluray Player/HTPC/Media Player?

Does your AVR support video pass-through i.e. doesn't molest/change the video ? If so one option is to run HDMI to the AVR first and use its video output to feed the Lumagen.

Out of curiosity if you have a video processor why send 1080i to the Panasonic display ?

Avi

Last edited by a moderator:

BobbyMac

Banned
Never thought of that, doh!, my panny can't handle 720p or 1080p, so is it not better for the scaler to pass a native res?

Avi

Distinguished Member
Never thought of that, doh!, my panny can't handle 720p or 1080p, so is it not better for the scaler to pass a native res?
A 1080i signal from a Blu-ray film source has a frame resolution of 1920x1080 transmitted in 2 fields. The display is required to de-interlace and scale the resulting frame if its native resolution isn't 1920x1080 (assuming 1:1 pixel map). This results in two pretty important processes being left to the display rather than the video processor.

What's the native res of your display ? If it's 1366x768 etc it may be better to send Blu-ray film content at 1080p/24 or 1080i from the player to the Lumagen and let it take care of any image key processing steps. I'm not sure if your display will accept a native res progressive signal i.e. via VGA/RGBHV but this may be worth investigation to consider the pros and cons if it's an option.

Avi

Last edited:

BobbyMac

Banned
A 1080i signal from a Blu-ray film source has a frame resolution of 1920x1080 transmitted in 2 fields. The display is required to de-interlace and scale the resulting frame if its native resolution isn't 1920x1080 (assuming 1:1 pixel map). This results in two pretty important processes being left to the display rather than the video processor.

What's the native res of your display ? If it's 1366x768 etc it may be better to send Blu-ray film content at 1080p/24 or 1080i from the player to the Lumagen and let it take care of any image key processing steps. I'm not sure if your display will accept a native res progressive signal i.e. via VGA/RGBHV but this may be worth investigation to consider the pros and cons if it's an option.

Avi
The native res of the display is 1366 x 768 :smashin:

Via VGA it supports the following

Last edited:
Top Bottom