• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

How to get HD sound from PS3

carlitos99

Established Member
how do you make sure you are outputting HD sound. I am in the middle of setting up my yamaha1065 with fat ps3 and kef3005se speakers.

But when it comes to playing a bluray disc how do I set up HD sound?

Also how do you get HD sound from bluray movies which are saved on the ps3hard drive?

muckybucket

Established Member
Depending on the player, you may not actually see indication of the HD sound; my Denon just shows 'Multi In' and the HD indicator does not light, but it is still HD sound!!

Mark.Yudkin

Distinguished Member
Just select the HD track. It's all about what you can hear, not whether some silly light with a substantially different semantic glows on the receiver.

SH00T

Established Member
Good Video.
All the Video suits both Fat and Slim.

And just for the record as reference.
Audio output for the PS3 slim over HDMI, should be set to Bitstream.

Just Pre-slim thats all.

SyStemDeMoN

Distinguished Member
thanks for the tips and excellent video:thumbsup:

so this gives hd sound to both actual discs and movies on hard drive/usb?

If the film you are watching has an HD audio track, then the PS3 will output it.

Best thing to do with the PS3 is once the film has started, or on the opening credits, press the 'SELECT' button on your PS pad and it will tell you in the top right corner what audio it is playing. i.e. DTS HD MA 6.4mbps 48Khz.

If you are watching converted MKV files, then it will play whatever soundtrack has been muxed on. If you using MKV2VOB then untick transcode DTS and tick 'use PCM instead'.

The latest video from AVForums

Spielberg, Shyamalan, Aronofsky, Chazelle, Eddie Murphy and Mel Gibson - all the latest movies
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom