How to get gmail

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by egbb_2004, Nov 6, 2005.

1. egbb_2004

egbb_2004

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Guys,

Not sure if this is the right forum to post it in so mods pls move if approporiate!

Anyone know how to get a gmail account? I have searched the forums already but couldn't seem to find an answer.

Thanks and regards
    Tom

2. mjirvine

mjirvine

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    you have to be invited to join by another gmail account holder. there are various web site lists for invite donations where you can request an invite. have a look at http://blog.outer-court.com/gmail-faq.html for more info.

MJI

3. Peridot

Peridot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +293
    Assuming you're in the UK Tom, you'll get a googlemail address rather than a gmail one, but otherwise it's the same service.

If you like, you can PM me with your e-mail address and I'll send you an invite.

4. the_sanguine

the_sanguine

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    What are the pros & Cons of gmail?

5. the_sanguine

the_sanguine

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
  6. neilo

neilo
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Has 100 invites lol
    If anyone wants one drop us a pm

7. the_sanguine

the_sanguine

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I need to change my email address as I've changed ISP. Does Gmail have any particular advantages over other open web email hosts?

8. jimmy100

jimmy100
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    The main advantages are space (about 2.5 Gb at the moment and increasing) and the ability to use google's search on your mailbox. Google indexes your mail the same way it indexes web pages, so it should be very quick to search for mail by keyword. Pop access (from outlook express or smartphones for example) is free with gmail, I think you have to pay for the premium version of hotmail to get this.

If you use IM services (ICQ, MSM, AOL etc.), google have recently released google talk, which integrates well with gmail. It allows you to make VOIP phone calls for free to your contacts, assuming you have a microphone/headset etc.

Google organises mail into 'conversations' based on the subject, which can be a plus point or a minus depending on your point of view.

You asked for negatives, well one think google has taken flak for is privacy. It's not really clear what happens to email when you delete it - the indexing information and possibly the email itself may be persisted on their servers somewhere, theoretically accessible by them if they want to.

Jimmy