1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

how to get euro1080

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by sheep, Apr 4, 2005.

1. sheep

sheep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Hi all as some of you may know i am a recent convert to DLP and the Hd possibilities it brings,which leads to to ask how do i go about getting euro1080?,is it worth getting?what equipment will i need please keep it simple i have only just got the basics on Hi-Def etc lol so not to much tech jargon :))
    Thanks
    Sheep

2. Piers

Piers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +227
    To get Euro 1080 (now known as HD1) you need a hi-def receiver, an HD1 smart card inserted into an Irdeto cam and a satellite dish pointing at the old Astra analogue position of 19.2 E. The Quali 1080IR receiver that I have does the business and the image quality is stunning. The programming leaves a bit to be desired. Fine as a demo, but definitely not something that you will want to watch each and every night, unless you want to watch the same programme over and over again!

3. johnelf

johnelf
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +78
    Please also remember they are converting from MPEG 2 to MPEG 4 this year and all the new channells are being launched in MPEG4 format from June this year.
    The Quali box will not pick up the new format. What i have done is buy a sat pc card (sky star 2) for around £50 and use this with my pc and dish of course. When the new MPEG4 boxes become available, will consider at that time.
    The pc needs to be fast for HD 3.2 or faster, min 1ghz RAM.

The pc option will also let you watch other channels too inc PROsieben which is also HD at present and unencoded.

Regards
    John

4. sheep

sheep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    so do i need a seperate dish or can i use my sky one?sorry for these newbie questions
    sheep

5. Dutch

Dutch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    No, you can't use your Sky Digital dish - it's too small and not pointing at the right satellite. As Piers said, you need to have one pointing at 19.2 E, not the Sky Digital position at 28.2 E. Hope this helps.

Steve

6. sprattgraham

sprattgraham

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    Euro1080 Have Said That HD1 & HD2 Will Start Broadcasting On One Of The Satellites At 28 East From November 2005.

7. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    It's also highly likely that the HD1/HD2 will also be accessible via SKY+ HD when it launched as a premum standalone channel or bundled in a SKY branded offering.
    If you are interested in SKY's subscription HD service then it may be cheaper to wait (If indeed there is a 2005 launch) and just buy the single STB which will work for both services.

8. sheep

sheep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    thanks for all your reply's i think i will take your advice and wait
    sheep

9. 1080 jawbreaker

1080 jawbreaker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +614
    if they us the DVB-S2 standard instead of the current DVB-S then its still no go for mpeg4. Havent seen any S2 hardware available yet so fingers crossed it wont be S2

10. Chris Muriel

Chris Muriel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +712
    DVB-S2 is in its infancy.
    DVB-S2 tuner chips from ST, Connexant, Zarlink and Broadcom are at various stages of development but early engineering samples are only available from 1 or 2 of them.
    There will also be a cost penalty, decreasing over time. Currently I have seen budgetary volume prices (i.e. 1 million or more) of around $12-13 whereas current standard qpsk chips are in the $3-$5 range.
    Moves from DirecTV (USA) mean that it will happen certainly over there and Europe is expected to follow.

Chris Muriel, Manchester

(I'll have more info later this month as I will be attending the NAB show, National Association of Broadcasters , in Las Vegas - work-related )

11. Stephen Neal

Stephen Neal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +681
    AIUI Sky want to go DVB-S2 with their HD service?

I wonder if they are going to soft-launch HD they will do so with DVB-S receivers and transmissions - but wait for DVB-S2 before they start delivering to the public?

12. 2 Point

2 Point

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Euro 1080 will be one of the 'standard' HD channels that will be launched with the Sky HD later this year.

You will still have to pay the £10 a month to access the HD content, but this can be added to the most basic package Sky offer.