How to get Dell wireless keyboard to work without another keyboard plugged in?

Discussion in 'Computer Peripherals & Consumables' started by 1ntense, Jun 8, 2009.

1. 1ntense

1ntense

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Ive got a Dell PC and Dell wireless keyboard, Ive had them for ages and have never been able to get the wireless keyboard to work without having a normal keyboard plugged in via usb.

If the normal keyboard is not plugged in it comes up keyboard failure and wont work until I plug in it in and press F1, only when I do that and type in my windows password will my wireless keyboard work.

It has always been an annoyance but its starting to get more irritating now hence me asking on here for advice.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Danny

2. EndlessWaves

EndlessWaves
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,490
    There's probably not much you can do.

What technology does the keyboard use? RF? Infrared? Bluetooth? I'm suspecting bluetooth.

Have you looked around in the bios for an option to ignore the lack of keyboard?

3. Curly99

Curly99
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,255
    iirc isn't it the ignore "all errors" option in the bios that needs to be set I think the other options are "no errors" and "all but keyboard"

Curly

4. EndlessWaves

EndlessWaves
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,490
    It depends on the bios, there's no standard when it comes to options.

5. 1ntense

1ntense

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Thanks for the replies.

I cant seem to find any of those options on the bios though.

I take it Im doing the right thing by hitting F2 or F12 when my comp is booting?

6. EndlessWaves

EndlessWaves
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,490
    The key to bring it up also varies, but as long as you get up a (typically blue) menu with lots of wierd sounding and basic options then you're in the BIOS.

If you know where to buy it then you can probably get a keyboard stub that's just a USB key that tells the computer there's a keyboard plugged in - similar to the external monitor stubs blind people use for their laptops so they can turn the screen off and save power. Unfortunately I don't know of anywhere that sells them or companies that make them.

You could plug an actual wired keyboard in, but unless you happen to have a mini keyboard already it might be a little difficult to hide.

Have you contacted Dell and asked them if they could suggest a solution?

7. 1ntense

1ntense

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Thats what Im having to do at present, plug a normal keyboard in for the wireless (bluetooth) one to work.

Very annoying as like you said its hard to hide and a nuisance having to have it plugged in. There must be a way to just plug in the bluetooth dongle and for the wireless keyboard to work surely?

I would phone Dell but I cant stand their customer service, before I had a clue about computers (not that Ive got much more now) I had a simple problem that could have been easily resolved (cant remember exactly what it was) by reinstalling Windows, they kept me on the phone on an 0845 number for what totalled up to well over 12 hrs on various phone calls before suggesting a reinstall. I was calling from a mobile, needless to say I got a massive bill.

Believe it or not I actually bought a Dell PC after said customer service events, when I changed my mind about the monitor I wanted, the indian chap on the end of the phone said I couldnt exchange it for the one I wanted and asked if there were any dead pixels, I didnt have a clue what that meant so said yes, hoping that he may exchange the monitor for me. He proceeded to laugh and say something along the lines of you're getting nothing sir and hung up. Worst customer service I've ever received, Im therefor loathed to have anymore contact with them.

Rant over about Dell, got to say it doesnt surprise me that they cant make a wireless keyboard that needs a wired keyboard plugged in for it to work though.

Moral of the story - Dont buy a Dell PC.