How to get DD / DTS and not LPCL playback?

TivoUK

Established Member
Reaction score
Not exactly sure if this is the right place to ask.

New Sony amp, new Sony BR player, old PS3.
Other items too in the amp, let concentrate on the BR and PS3.

Use the amp for a HDMI switch also, so the BR / PS3 go into there via inputs on back of the amp.

They all appear to work sweetly together, except for one thing.

I cannot get the amp to display Dolby Digital or DTS sound - it just comes up saying LPCM when playing back either BR or PS3. Not knowing really what LPCM is, but I thought that HDMI could transfer the DD or DTS sound via that cable?

If I plug in an optical cable, I can get DD or DTS to appear, but only when the HDMI cable is NOT plugged in. Plug in HDMI and the amp takes the sound from the HDMI and no DD / DTS displayed - just LPCM

LPCM does not sound as surround "active" to me - and really want to hear the DD or DTS - see it come up on amp.

So, can the HDMI transfer DD / DTS - any tips on what am doing wrong???

what is our amp and can it accept bitstream hd audio, if it can set your bluray player to output bitstream audio over hdmi. As for your ps3 if its the old style then the ps3 will decode the audio and out put as 5.1 pcm. make sure the 5.1 pcmboxes are ticked in the sound settings menu of the ps3. If you dont want the ps3 to decode the audio for dvds go to the sound options menu in the ps3 and untick all the pcm sound boxes. However if you do this you wont get hd audio from your bluray disc in the ps3

Not exactly sure if this is the right place to ask.

New Sony amp, new Sony BR player, old PS3.
Other items too in the amp, let concentrate on the BR and PS3.

Use the amp for a HDMI switch also, so the BR / PS3 go into there via inputs on back of the amp.

They all appear to work sweetly together, except for one thing.

I cannot get the amp to display Dolby Digital or DTS sound - it just comes up saying LPCM when playing back either BR or PS3. Not knowing really what LPCM is, but I thought that HDMI could transfer the DD or DTS sound via that cable?

If I plug in an optical cable, I can get DD or DTS to appear, but only when the HDMI cable is NOT plugged in. Plug in HDMI and the amp takes the sound from the HDMI and no DD / DTS displayed - just LPCM

LPCM does not sound as surround "active" to me - and really want to hear the DD or DTS - see it come up on amp.

So, can the HDMI transfer DD / DTS - any tips on what am doing wrong???

LPCM is what Dolby and DTS (lossless or lossy codecs) become when decompressed and some Blu-ray audio is also stored at LPCM. It's also the format the Blu-ray player will output if internal decoding and audio track mixing i.e. secondary audio is enabled in the player. Some player such as the old fat PS3 don't support HD lossless bitstream output and decompress to LPCM.

If you use the digital optical output you can't use the lossless HD audio versions such as Dolby TrueHD of DTS HD Master audio. S/PDIF (optical or coax) only supports multi-channel audio using lossy codecs such as Dolby Digital or DTS. The player will automatically use the lossy versions when S/PDIF is selected as the output.

Assuming your AVR support lossless codecs ensure secondary audio is "off" in the player and ensure HDMI audio output is set to bitstream.

Avi

Thanks for replies - sounds like I want the lossless audio, but cannot I not have the amp display DTS LPCM and get the surround sound that DTS designed???

Thanks for replies - sounds like I want the lossless audio, but cannot I not have the amp display DTS LPCM and get the surround sound that DTS designed???

You ARE getting it. Read Avi's explanation again:smashin:

LPCM is what Dolby and DTS (lossless or lossy codecs) become when decompressed and some Blu-ray audio is also stored at LPCM.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom