Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

How to get cinema sound

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by somtam, Jun 19, 2017.

Tags:
  1. somtam

somtam
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hello I watch a lot of movies but wish to replicate the cinema sound in my home.
    I visited John Lewis and saw the sonos soundbar and was impressed however I was advised to get Dali Sensor 5 speakers.
    Having the Dali speakers running through a 6 year old £150 amp I'm not sure in what direction to go as not sure wether to upgrade my amp to something like the denon AVRX2300 or a subwoofer or an alternative method as I'm totalling missing the deep bass sound from movies.
    Thank you

2. Rambles

Rambles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,276
    Have you just got a stereo pair of Dali Sensor 5 speakers, or a surround sound package of 5 or more speakers? And what is the £150 amp that you are using to power them?

If you want deeper bass sounds for big movie explosions, then a dedicated, powered subwoofer, will amost certainly be the first upgrade that you could look at. But another amp may also help.

The Dali Sensor 5's go down to a 43hz frequency, which is quite low, but maybe you are not getting the volume and power that you need from your amp at those frequencies, to hear the effects that you are hoping for.

A stand alone powered subwoofer has it's own onboard amplification, so will give you that boom, without stressing your main amp that are driving the other speakers. But, connecting it to your current amp may be tricky, if it has not got a subwoofer pre-out.

3. somtam

somtam
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thank you for your reply
    I have 2 Dali Sensor 5s, 1on each side of the tv powered by a Denon RCD-M38DAB
    Thank you

4. Rambles

Rambles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,276
    Okay, there are a few things to consider then.

Your amp is very low powered, it outputs 30 watts in stereo mode into 6 ohm speakers. Your Dali Zensor 5's are asking for recommended amplifier power of 30 to 150 watts, so you are coming in at the very bottom of the range.

Secondly, your amp only has analogue inputs, so you are not getting any of the high definition digital audio formats that come with movie soundtracks input into the amp. Having said that, if you are not wanting to add additional speakers, and only want to run a stereo set-up, that alone is not necessarily a bad thing.

The good news is that your amp does have a subwoofer pre-out, so you could add a separate powered subwoofer to your current set-up and see how it sounds.

Although, conversely, if you change your amp to one that can deliver more power, you might found that you start getting those deep bass frequencies from your Dali's, so don't need / want a separate subwoofer.

If you are looking at changing the amp, and are not planning to add additional speakers (ie you want to stick to a stereo set-up, maybe with a separate subwoofer) then I would advise against buying a multi channel amplifier and stick with a stereo one instead. Otherwise you will be paying for additional amplifier channels and features that you will never used. Basically you will get more for your money in terms of power and sound quality, with a stereo amp, than a multi channel AVR.

5. gibbsy

gibbsy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,056
    Your Denon is not a receiver it is a stereo amplifier and cannot decode 5.1 material but will simply output 2 channel stereo. To get the cimema sound you will need the Denon X2300 which you have already mentioned. This will give you ability to decode all the current HD formats including Atmos and DTS:X if you go so far as to get the required speakers.

You will need a Dali Zensor centre speaker along with two additional speakers to act as surrounds. An active subwoofer will also be required which makes the .1 in a 5.1 set up, this is what will give you the deep effects and all 5.1 blu ray discs will have this dedicated channel. To complete the experience you could, in the future, install two additional speakers for the Atmos experience.

The Denon X2300 will then act as your hub. All your equipment, blu ray player, Sky box, etc, can be connected to it to give you surround sound.

6. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,079
    Room/Room Layout - is crucial when deciding if you will go with a 2.0, 2.1, 5,1 or a Soundbar type system.

'I was advised to get Dali Sensor 5 speakers' - hopefully whoever gave you that advice also advised you that you required a suitable amplifier (Stereo or Multi-channel) to drive them, your current amp is not a good match with those loudspeakers.

How best to proceed will be guided by your Room/Room Layout, ability to accommodate a 5.1 AVR+Speaker system (if you want to go down that Route) or stick with a 2.0/2.1 system (with a suitable Amp) and your Budget.

Joe

7. Blues Rock

Blues Rock

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +124
    What is the source of your movies played from, be it a Bluray player or Dedicated Media Player.
    Myself I play movies from a HDD connected to the usb of my Mede8er media player, downmixed to 2ch, connected by optical lead to a Cambridge CXA60 Stereo Amp sounds great.
    Can also add a Subwoofer to Amp but I found its loud enough for me plenty of detail nice and clear never get any movies sounding out of sync

8. somtam

somtam
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thank you all for your amazing informative replies. Due to cost I believe that a stereo set up would be best for me.
    However I'm uncertain what amp would be best as should I go for the more expensive Cambridge CXA60 as recommended by Just Rock or a cheaper option like a Marantz PM5005/6006 allowing thus reducing the cost of the amp allowing the price difference to be put towards a subwoofer.
    Any thoughts on this...much appreciated

9. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,079
    Connectivity - knowing which Sources and TV you have will help with planning out your connectivity, possibly influencing your choice of Amp!

Amp - I'd go with the best Amp I could for now and revisit a Subwoofer at a later date.

I use a stereo system for a lot of my TV/Movie viewing and whilst I do have a Sub I don't find I miss not having it as my speakers deliver enough bass in my room.

Joe

10. somtam

somtam
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Just to add the source of my movies has been through Netflix/Amazon or via my Mini mac connected via a HDMI cable

11. Rambles

Rambles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,276
    It doesn't look like either of the Marantz amps have a subwoofer pre-out, which will make it difficult to add a separate subwoofer.

Your best bet is to find somewhere that can let you demo some stereo amps, and see if you can take your speakers along with you. It might be that with better amplification that you will get more of the bass frequencies out of your Dali's, so might decide you don't need a subwoofer.

That would at least help you to narrow down some of your options.

12. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,079
    TV - what Output options does it provide?

Amp - look for either a Stereo Amp with Digital Input + Sub-Out or you could use a Conventional AVR and simply use it in 2.0 or 2.1 mode.

Sub - some Subs can be used with a conventional Stereo Amp which lacks Sub Out as they can take in the speaker level signal and internally strip out the Sub frequencies, see BK Electronics P12-300SB Subwoofer Review

Joe

13. kahlua

kahlua

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +903
  14. Rambles

Rambles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,276
    Yes, that one looks good. But, I think the difference between a stereo receiver and a stereo amp is that a receiver has an integrated tuner?

I guess a stereo receiver is more likely to have digital inputs and a subwoofer pre-out, but those features can be found on some stereo amps also (the non receiver varieties).

15. dushyant

dushyant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Don't get another stereo amplifier, I would recommend you get the Denon X2300W AVR you originally proposed to replace the M38 so that you can feed your HDMI inputs directly into the AVR. Plus it will allow you to add a subwoofer for that "cinema boom" sound. The AVR will be able to run your two Zensor 5s in a stereo setup it will just reroute all sound to the front in pseudo-surround. And you can add surround and centre speakers at a later date.