1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to get better quality sound in my room

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by pringtef, Jan 28, 2005.

1. pringtef

pringtef

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    I'm trying to get ideas of how i can get better acoustics in my living room whilst having little or no money.

The room itself is 22' x 11', with the speakers agains the short side. Flooring is Karndean acrylic tiles, with a decent size mat in the middle of the floor. At present walls are unadorned, and your standard plasterboard ones that new flats are made off.

At present, the best way i can describe sound at present is fairly shallow and echoey.

Would even just adding some pictures to the wall improve things significantly?

All recommendations welcome!

2. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    £250 for HAA calibration?? Drop Gordon a line... buy lots of heavy furniture Rugs wall hangings.

3. pemberto

pemberto

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
  4. Killahertz

Killahertz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You may have had the basis for an acoustically good room, having at least one large axial dimension (22'). Allied to non-multiples of that dimension gives a good modal spread, and the likelihood of an even bass response, that needs little additional treatment. However, the 11' dimension put paid to that idea - the room is destined to have marked, uneven bass response. If your height dimension is also 11', then the room would be difficult, if not impossible to remedy. Even without another 11' dimension you may still face significant work to appease modal response - although that rather depends on how seriously you can take and want to take it.

On the flip side you have a room that is likely to be highly reverberent. Pictures will do nothing to assist (even in an otherwise sorted room), and wall hangings do little to ameliorate multiple hard surfaces (especially when they include the floor and the ceiling). Hard floors are anathema to room acoustics - the mat is essential, yet even with additional rugs, etc, unlikely to wholly curative. With regard to the walls, and in place of wall hangings i'd say you'd seriously have to consider the acoustic panels mentioned by pemberto, but that; to some extent, depends on the level of domestic absorption already in the room (carpets, furnishings, etc).

Successful acoustic treatment can be achieved for relatively little money, but in it's place you need to substitute time and knowledge (or effort to attain such). As a precursor, have a read of my article on the subject, here:

http://www.apsalisbury.dsl.pipex.com/roomtreatment.zip

(The zip contains my Word-based article and my Excel-based basic room mode calculator).

Further, Audioholics has an excellent, and continually improving acoustics section, here:

http://www.audioholics.com/techtips/roomacoustics/index.php

Finally, if you see this as a serious DIY venture, then you need to consider the "Master Handbook of Acoustics" by F. Alton Everest.

5. pringtef

pringtef

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    Cheers Killahertz, looking into those links now.

6. oracleband

oracleband

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have your speakers tweeter at head height, have good clearance behind the speaers dont have them actually touchng a wall and dont have them to far from listening position as by the time the sound gets to you its brought a few friends (reflections from surfaces ) which can cause phase cancellation and cut great big holes in your audio at the same time having obstacles in the room to stop a sound wave playing tennis with itself in a straight line from one wall to the next is bad so you can break this up by for example having a wooden small wodden screnn angled diagonally to break up patterns which can cause wave enforcement ( wave doubles up and gets louder ) or phase cancelltion ( were a wave crosses were its dip crosses over its peak and in result of this you get SILENCE.......

Dont go crazy spending money when a little knowledge goes along way.

7. pringtef

pringtef

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    I've carried out the basics, floor standards are over 1' away from the rear wall, and about 1'5" from side walls. Speakers are toed in slightly so the sound image should be just about a foot on front of sitting position.

The acoustic panels sound a good investment for me at the moment, though i may end up getting a larger rug at some point to replace the current one.

Thought that these things look pretty cool :-

Auralex

8. avanzato

avanzato

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +60
    After faffing around with the DIY frame treatments I've just had some foam squares custom cut so I can try them out. They were cheaper than the Auralex foam, I'll try to get a picture when I figure out how to fix them temporarily rather than permanently to the wall.

9. mattym

mattym
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +101
    there are many acoustic room treatments commercially available if you want to spend some money, acoustic foam is ok to a point, an alternative to auralex is Profoam from RPGdiffusors, HERE