1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to get best sound?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by Sab, Sep 28, 2003.

1. Sab

Sab

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    I know I have a good stereo hifi system but I am not that satisfied with the sound which is odd. I am using LAT International biwire speaker cable and Van den Hul First Ultimate Interconnects.
    With my Arcam FMJ cd player and amp I usually leave the display off and this does make a difference to the sound. Arcam say in the manual that it sounds better with the display off.

Does anyone else have their display on in their CD player/amp system? Does it sound better with the display on?

Do I need better spaekers to get the best out of my Arcam FMJ?

2. Karma

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    I think you may have answered your own question. If it sounds better to you with the display off, then leave it off. Especially as it is what the manufacturer recommends.

For what it's worth though, this has been general practice for some time. I have a Meridian CD player with the ability to switch off the display, and Meridian recommend it is switched off for serious music sessions.

I've found that the player does sound better with it off. But can only tell when conditions are at optimum. ie late at night, when the mains is purer anyway.

At heavy current usage times (ie early evening) then it is difficult to tell the difference, so I guess the quality of mains has a large influence too.

3. Stereo Steve

Stereo Steve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I would say the weakest link in your system is the 3802. Speakers should sound great and the FMJ is a winner. 3802 is over-rated IMHO although a good surround amp at the time.

4. Sab

Sab

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    What would be a good upgrade to my stereo system without spending over a thousand?

The Denon 3802 will be upgraded when funds allow. Perhaps Pioneer Ax5i? Or would I need a procesor/poweramp combo to get the best out of my speakers e.g. Rotel?