1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to get best picture quality, freeview to plasma?

Discussion in 'Digital TV & Video Players & Recorders' started by lisag, Jan 15, 2005.

Tags:
  1. lisag

lisag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +333
    I have the Panasonic TH37PW7 plasma, a media center PC connected via VGA and a Pace Twin HD recorder connected via Scart.

The picture quality of freeview is inconsistent, the media center has less artefacts, is smoother, but looks a bit 'floaty' and flesh tones are less life like. The Pace Twin looks very real and the picture is firm and more consistent, but on occassions is a little grainy, with spots of shimmering, and a few artefacts, although on some programs it simply looks stunning, seems to depend on the channel, the program, the time of day, the weather???

I am not officially in a freeview area, but have a professionally installed amplified aerial and get reasonable reception - maybe this is my problem?

I have not yet tried a RGB to VGA converter, because it will be a £200 upgrade as I will need a second VGA input, and having read many threads on the plasma screen forum, it seems to dramatically improve sky but not freeview.

Are there any other options open to me? Are there noticeable differences in picture quality between different PVR's? Maybe I would be better selling the Pace Twin and going for something different?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts
    lisa

2. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    you a combination of PACE twin known tohave a "soft" Picture and Panny scart board als known to have a "SOFT" Picture so you may have ende up with the ultimate soft focus picture.... where are you? there will be someone not too far away who would lend you a JS box for you to see on your panel.....

3. lisag

lisag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +333
    Hello.... :)

That would be fantastic, I have tried to find a retailer to sell me one that will accept a return if I am not happy, but failed - they all want a re-stocking fee, which I am sure is not legal if I buy online, thought I was supposed to get 7days, but don't want the hassle of fighting it out with them if I do want to return it, I am in Essex.

4. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    typical........ Have you tried JS Technology Direct? or AV sales? I am too far away but some kind sole might help you out....

5. lisag

lisag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +333
    Hi, yes I have tried e-mailing both of those direct, and although they are happy to supply neither seemed to want to offer me any home approval.... if the product is that good, why not let me try it out first? Thanks for your offer, I will see if anyone else responds :lease:

:)

6. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    restocking fee is legal (reasonable resocking fee is........) if the item is faulty it is a different matter..... hopefuy some kind soul who lives locally will lend you one...

7. Pottsy

Pottsy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I connect the Pace via RGBs to the Iscan HD+ and get a very good picture. Rock solid, not artifacts, pretty sharp.

Have tried for ages to get something close using a PC (Nebula DigiTV with Nvidia 6600GT), and failed.

The Pace into the scart board on the panny did make a bit of a soft picture, and it lacked the lovely solid look that the HD+ makes.

8. lisag

lisag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +333
    Hi, thanks for this, just checked out the specs of that product - and it looks ideal, all the connections I will ever need :thumbsup:

But..... it's £1000 :eek:

Back to the drawing board :confused: