Question How to get best bass in my room?

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by nugget2014, Apr 20, 2016.

Tags:
  1. nugget2014

nugget2014

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +207
    Since the first day of having my newly attained hobby and interest in all things home cinema which i started 2 years ago and "finished" now i still am disappointed in 1 area if the setup. The bass! I mean i get plenty when i want but its just not quite what i want.

No matter what the volume or placement is in my room i have only felt the bass once on my body. That was the mountain scene of tmnt at around 105-110db

Is it next to impossible and pointless for me to chase this dream? It all started with a sub demo at superfi which i felt the bass on my legs easily at 90db while watching the relatively weak lfe performance of man of steel.

All the times i go to concerts and imax films where you feel it i feel sad i might never achieve it at home.

I currently have a dali ikon sub mk2. Do i need a sealed sub? Do i need a better sub? Which subs are generally better for feeling the bass more and around what frequency does it happen? If i was looking at getting a svs pb2000 would it be a better choice to get that or another same model of my sub so i have 2? Any help would be welcome.

My room is like an L shape. About 14 foot long and 12 foot wide with an alcove at the back right

2. Tom @ PSA

Tom @ PSA
    Well-known Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +741

Before upgrading I'd consider DL REW-5 and spending $75 or so on a decent consumer grade mic kit. This will allow you to learn everything you need to know about your room acoustics/system bass performance as measured at the seating.

Tom V.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • List
  3. nugget2014

nugget2014

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +207
    I see. Not sure what i think about that. What will then be the next step if i did learn something?

4. MemX

MemX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,177
    If you can understand the measured response at your seating position, you can identify areas you are lacking in (perhaps needing moooooaaar sub, in size and/or number) and also re-measure with the seating position and sub(s) in different locations, in order to find the best location for both (which will then minimise the need for EQ or additional kit, in theory).

5. John 11 Lewis

John 11 Lewis
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Make yourself a seat Bass shaker. I to like good low bass but my wife thinks it not fair on the neighbors when i'm watching action films. So I made a bass shaker for my chair. WOW it's fantastic. Got all the bits on Amazon and E-bay total cost £82.00 it's well worth it.