How to get best audio using a HDMI v1.3 amp?

Mattdebbage

Standard Member
Reaction score
Just bought my 1st 3D tv and bluray player (txp46gt30) and (dmpbdt110).
Have been reading up on the best way to connect up to my onkyo txsr606 and discovered that optical cables will not transfer uncompressed audio, only DD.
Apparently my amp does not pass through the required bandwidth for 3d so what is the best option?
The sky 3d signal seems to pass through ok?
I don't want to buy a new amp.

Surely with optical cable all available audio will be passed through from your BD player to the amp.
Why not?

Just bought my 1st 3D tv and bluray player (txp46gt30) and (dmpbdt110).
Have been reading up on the best way to connect up to my onkyo txsr606 and discovered that optical cables will not transfer uncompressed audio, only DD.
Apparently my amp does not pass through the required bandwidth for 3d so what is the best option?
The sky 3d signal seems to pass through ok?
I don't want to buy a new amp.
Pass-through works just fine with my dmpbdt110 and LG 1.3 amp.

Have you tried it?

Surely with optical cable all available audio will be passed through from your BD player to the amp.
Why not?

Optical interface , not cable , the cable is just part of the interface. The cable itself would have no such bandwidth limitations, but the interface does , and cannot handle lossless codecs such as Dolby Tru HD and DTS MA which you find on Blu rays.

The only way to hear those is over the HDMI interface , or , if you have a Blu ray player with multi-channel analog outs , over those.

The 606 is HDMI 1.3a , so this will be fine for 2D blu rays and HD sound over HDMI , but most likely will not be able to handle the 2 x 1080p streams and HD sound that form a 3D signal from a Blu ray.

The best options for this kind of setup are Blu ray players with two outputs , usually more expensive , such as the dmptd310 , or some kind of HDMI distribution device with EDID management.

Pass-through works just fine with my dmpbdt110 and LG 1.3 amp.

Have you tried it?

Hi, Yea I can get the Blu ray player to output PCM and this comes up on the amp as multichannel. As I understand it that is full HD audio.
I dont have any 3D Blu rays to try to see if the Amp passes the video signal at the same time though.

Will have to see, but I haven't got high hopes based on the other reply's...

Hi, Yea I can get the Blu ray player to output PCM and this comes up on the amp as multichannel. As I understand it that is full HD audio.
I dont have any 3D Blu rays to try to see if the Amp passes the video signal at the same time though.

Will have to see, but I haven't got high hopes based on the other reply's...
I mean in the sense of HDMI in and HDMI out.

My LG amp is 2 x HDMI input so it extracts the audio and passes the video to the TV for 2 HDMI inputs.

I didn't expect it to work (as it's only HDMI v1.3) but it fully supports 3D blu-rays as long as you use a Fast HDMI cable (stutters a bit otherwise)

I mean in the sense of HDMI in and HDMI out.

My LG amp is 2 x HDMI input so it extracts the audio and passes the video to the TV for 2 HDMI inputs.

I didn't expect it to work (as it's only HDMI v1.3) but it fully supports 3D blu-rays as long as you use a Fast HDMI cable (stutters a bit otherwise)

Hi, sorry, can you explain that again please? I dont get the part about 2 tv inputs.

Hi, sorry, can you explain that again please? I dont get the part about 2 tv inputs.
I mean that many modern amps take multiple HDMI inputs (say from a blu-ray player or cable box etc) and then switch the output directly to the TV.

Only so called HDMI v1.4 amps are supposed to be able to pass the 3D signal to the TV but my v1.3 amp does it fine.

Another advantage is you tend not to get lip-sync issues as you can when using optical out.

I mean that many modern amps take multiple HDMI inputs (say from a blu-ray player or cable box etc) and then switch the output directly to the TV.

Only so called HDMI v1.4 amps are supposed to be able to pass the 3D signal to the TV but my v1.3 amp does it fine.

There are a very very limited number of 1.3 amps that can do this , whether or not your amp is capable of this depends on the quality of the HDMI rx and tx chipset within the device , it has nothing to do with "fast" cables.

The 606 that the op has, definitely cannot do this.

3d from bluray has 2 x 1080p streams @24fps. Audio from any bluray does not have a separate line over HDMI , it is packed between the frames for the video, in order for a 2D device to work with a 3D signal it must be able to extract that audio , some of the better 1.3 chipsets can do this , most cannot.
You were lucky in that respect.

Last edited:
3d from bluray has 2 x 1080p streams @24fps. Audio from any bluray does not have a separate line over HDMI , it is packed between the frames for the video, in order for a 2D device to work with a 3D signal it must be able to extract that audio , some of the better 1.3 chipsets can do this , most cannot.
You were lucky in that respect.
Thanks for that insight :smashin:

I wrongly assumed it was purely a bandwidth issue but obviously not.

So basically, it either works or it doesn't - there's no in-between :(

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom