How to get AVI files on to a disc

gerbilly

Prominent Member
Reaction score
I have some tv stuff saved as avi files that I want to get onto DVD's. However I have tried to see if i can use popcorn 2, Burn, Handbrake or Mac The Ripper but all of them seem to want a disc to convert and not an avi file.
Can anyone help or will I have to buy some software to do this.

Thanks.

No it isn't unfortunately. AVI2DVD is free and it works very well but it's a Windows program.

The only Mac program I know of that can convert AVI to DVD is iVCD. It costs $30.

If you have a lot of AVI files you may be better off buying a budget DivX DVD player that can play them straight off the disc (provided the video resolution is <=720 x 576). Converting video files always results in some loss of quality, although there is the advantage that they can then be played on any DVD player.

Alternatively you can import them into iMovie and burn to dvd using iDVD ...

Jon

Won't 'toast' burn a DVD from an AVI?

It aint on DVD thats the problem, it is a avi file on my mac!!

I think I may have found out how to do it from a piece of software called Burn.

Don't know if anyone has mentioned this, but I use convertxtodvd to convert it, and at the end burn to dvd

It aint on DVD thats the problem, it is a avi file on my mac!!

I think I may have found out how to do it from a piece of software called Burn.

Toast will burn avi files to DVD video.
I used to do it all the time until I got a DVD player that would play them, the quality suffers a fair bit when burning to DVD as video though.

Toast will burn avi files to DVD video.
I used to do it all the time until I got a DVD player that would play them, the quality suffers a fair bit when burning to DVD as video though.

I have worked it out now Burn to get it into the right format, and also to burn it on to DVD.

I have worked it out now Burn to get it into the right format, and also to burn it on to DVD.

When you dragged the avi file onto Toast with it set on DVD Video what happened?

For AVI file conversion, FFMPEG is good, Toast is useful as well. For burning Toast and Dragon Burn are fine. I no longer burn true DVD's, better to have the DVD player that supports Xvid/Divx, you get 6 movies onto one disc, so quite good. I use a Mac Mini connected to an AV amp and DVI/HDMI to my LCD TV, does a reasonable job, hence, perhaps a 500gig HDD may be best for you if you are using your computer to show AVI's - VLC is much better than QT Pro, you can also do streaming.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom