How to get around.....

Discussion in 'Computer Components' started by Sparky83, Feb 18, 2014.

1. Sparky83

Sparky83

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +147
    ... the fact that I don't have room for my DVD drive!

Basically I have an SSD drive that is sitting where my DVD drive should go. I'm also using the cables for it to connect my SSD. But I need to install windows on my SSD but I need the drive connected to do so.
    It's a HP microserver, and I know that others have various HDD's, and SSD's in the top compartment but I only have 2 cable, the power and the red Ribbentrop type cable.

2. EndlessWaves

EndlessWaves
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,519
    Presumably the microserver has at least two SATA ports if it's got space for a DVD drive so what's the objection to just buying a second SATA cable (assuming you don't have any other desktops around to pinch one out of)?

If that's not an option for whatever reason, then have you looked at creating a custom Windows 8 installer with the driver included? Customize Your Windows 8 Installation Disc and Slipstream Updates With WinReducer

Don't worry about the SSD not being in a bay, it's not got any moving parts so as long as the cables are connected it doesn't matter how it's positioned.

3. Sparky83

Sparky83

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +147
    I have bays for the HDD's that are hot swappable, there is no cables from the board to the drives. There is only one that has my SSD drive in it.

I didn't know you could do this, although i'm i want to install win 7 as i wasn't happy with windows 8.

4. R-CAD

R-CAD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    Install from USB, rather than DVD.

Easiest way is to create a bootable USB from the Instal DVD is to use the Windows7-USB-DVD-tool

Microsoft Store

You'll need a Windows (XP SP2 or "higher") PC to create the the Bootable USB, and be careful if your creating a 64Bit Install USB on a 32 Bit machine.

(How did you get Windows 8 on it, and what were you not happy about? I've just stuck 8.1 on my N54L)

Last edited: Feb 26, 2014
  5. Morfinel

Morfinel
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    the one above or external DVD

6. movaado

movaado

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +220
    I have a 2.5" SATA drive above my DVDROM in my HP Microserver - there is a fair bit of spare room in there.

I got a SATA to eSATA cable and plugged that into the external eSATA port, routed it though one of the PCIe slots in the rear, onto the DVD's SATA connector.