1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to get a good front soundstage?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by JIT, Sep 23, 2003.

1. JIT

JIT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    What is the best way to setup my stereo soundstage?

I have my speakers toed-in slightly but i still feel that it could be better.

2. alwyn

alwyn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Try the XLO test and burn in cd. it gives you excellent guidance for stereo balance it was available from reference recordings and was listed as rx 1000

3. JIT

JIT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Any idea where i could get it?

4. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Surely the best way to set up a stereo soundstage is by trial and error. Every speaker will perform at it's optimum in a slightly different position

5. avanzato

avanzato

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +60
    Some general guidelines I've had in the past and used are:

Keep the speakers away from walls.
    Arrange them symetrically in the room.
    Have different distances for the speaker to back wall and speaker to side wall distances.
    There should be nothing between the speakers.
    My minds just gone blank. I think the distance between the speakers should be roughly the same as the distance from each speaker to your listening position.

Once you're happy with the positioning you can then treat the room by absorbing the first reflections from the speakers.
    Do this by getting someone to hold a mirrior against the wall (and ceiling). Sitting in your listening chair look at the mirror as your assistant moves it along the wall. Mark out the area on the wall where you can see the speakers in the mirror. Add rigid fibre insulation to these areas or use proprietry products if you like a nicer finish.

HTH

6. Nobber22

Nobber22

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    Really? Do light and sounds waves behave in the same way?

7. avanzato

avanzato

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +60
    I can barely remember my O-level physics but AFAIK when they reflect yes they do behave the same way. All waves can be reflected and the angle of incidence is the same as the angle of reflection.

8. Nobber22

Nobber22

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    Yeah, that sounds right, but how does one accurately measure sound coming from more than one source ie. from the tweeter and woofer of the same speaker? What size mirror is best? Also different tweeters have different sound dispersion properties, so how do you tell which surface is the "first reflection" one?

Please note I am not poo-pooing your method, I am genuinely intrigued as to how it is done? :)

9. avanzato

avanzato

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +60
    You don't need to measure anything. Most of the sound is going directly to your listening position, you are only worried about reflections. As the two angles in reflection are equal the only sounds that reach your ears from the speaker with one (first) reflection will be those that happen when you can see the speaker in the mirror. Light and sound reflect in the same way. The dispersion of the tweeter will only alter how much HF sound is going in any direction to be reflected. If all of the tweeters output is going forward then nothing will be reflected. Speakers don't just radiate sound forward from the drivers but all sorts of frequencies in many directions. So covering an area where you can see the speaker box will help with these reflections.

The mirror just needs to be a convenient size. What you will end up with is an area marked on the wall. Use this as the centre for your treatment and cover it and some of the area outside the line depending on how large you absorber panels are.

I think I've made sense but if not ask again ;)

10. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    One of the best methods is to use that recommended by Wilson Audio(of Wilson System 7 etc fame)...the following is a link to a site dtailing the method...a bit fiddly,but very effective in average rooms....obviously it's aimed at the very high-end Wilson speakers,but will work for any cone/dome speaker system.

http://www.tnt-audio.com/casse/waspe.html

11. alwyn

alwyn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13