How to get a decent deal when upgrading?

Discussion in 'Mobile Phones Forum' started by Doug86, Jan 12, 2008.

1. Doug86

Doug86

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I need to upgrade my phone this month.

I just phoned up O2 and the best offer they can give me on the N82 is:

Keep existing tarrif (12 months) which is 800 mins & 1000 texts for 30 a month (should be 45) and the phone will be £89.99

Now I dont want to pay for the phone and I want to carry on with the existing tarrif. Whats my best plan of action?

Do I phone up and request my PAC code? Will they then give me what I want or will they give me the code and leave it a few days then phone me saying I can have it for free?

2. pointyone

pointyone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    sorry but thats a rubbish offer , never pay for a phone if your contract is up, threaten to leave and you can all but get what you want

im on 3 not the best network but it suits me and i got a viewty free(on 12months not the 18 months they wanted me to take) 300mix and match(suits me some times i text some times i call) 300 extra free mins to 3 phones lots of mates are on 3 and unlimited internet access and 90 mins video calls for £29 a month, and they unlocked my lg u400 for free which i gave to my brother for his o2 card
    its hard comparing tariffs cause it what suits the person but you should deffo bartter you are in the driving seat

3. Sy1441

Sy1441

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +284
    Thats nonsense mate. Sometimes your better taking an upfront hit for the handset and reaping the rewards in the way of a line rental discount.

4. Mac User

Mac User

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +309
    Threaten to leave.. always works for me

5. pointyone

pointyone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22

thats not the case they wanted £30 per month out of him for that sort of cash i wouldnt also then expect to have to pay £90 for the phone, and with his contract being up then if he is happy with the tariff then he should be able to get the phone for free by threatening to leave

6. Mikelowry

Mikelowry
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Not if your with T-mobile! I was with them a couple of years ago and wanted to upgrade to SE K800i and they wanted me to pay £130, so I went to orange and got it for free. Now I want I K850i or a N95 8GB when my contract runs out next month so I will probably move again if Orange dont give me what I want.

7. davejerome

davejerome

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    If you are dealing with o2 like I am I just did the following. Got an upgrade from them over the phone and agreed to pay £70 (discounted from £190 after persuading and discount band).

Then phoned them up 5 days later and said "I went into the o2 store and they said that they would have done it for me for free. So I would like to send it back or have my £70 refunded please". (A total bluff)

They said, ok then, its much easier for everyone if we just don't charge you for the phone!

8. Doug86

Doug86

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I dont want to pay for the handset on the chance I may get refunded.

I will phone them tommorow and ask for my PAC code. See if that does anything

9. UglyChild uk

UglyChild uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    What I did with O2 is said I went into an Orange shop and said specifically what Orange shop (IE the Orange shop on Southend High ST and said they would give me the exact deal I wanted and the phone for free. I said I didn't want to leave O2 but they weren't giving me any choice as Orange would give me the same contract at same price and the phone for free.

Think it helps to make them think you really are on the edge of leaving instead of just threatening. The more details the better.

How I originally got an N95 for free with the contract I wanted.

10. davejerome

davejerome

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Yes I understand that. But if they say no (which I doubt they would as they didn't for me on the same tariff) then just send the phone back. You have 14 days.

Also the cost for them is not worth it as they will have to pay ups and then they have a handset that they basically have to refurb.

11. Doug86

Doug86

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I tried calling today.

I had no joy, I said orange offered me this that blah blah and she just said no thats an 18 month contract etc and caught me out!

Im going to try this story tommorow:

I went to vodaphone, they offered me the N95 8gb on the 18 month contract which is 1000 texts, 300 mins £30 per month. But they will give me a refund on the last 6 months of the contract so I am only paying for 12.

Is that a good story to try with?

12. Mikelowry

Mikelowry
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I just got the K850i through orange upgrade, for free, 12 month contract, dolphin 30 plan (200mins 300 texts, with unlimited weekend texts) for £25 a month and 6 months at £20 a month. That plan should be £30 a month.