Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi

I've been a ntl/virgin media customer for about 4 years now
Right now i pay £23 for
*2mb Broadband (£10)
*Phone line ( £10)
*Evening and weekend calls (£10)

On top of that i got the free virgin tv service which i would like to upgrade to XL

Obviesly i don't want to pay £20.50 p/m for it.

I'm looking at something around 7 quid a month

Could you tell me the best way to do that. I know it's possible, by looking at the deals the other forum users got:)

Don't be so tight get your hands in your pockets. If everyone gets something for nothing then Virgin would not be economically viable and we would all loose out on a great service. :nono:

Hi

Right now i pay £23 for
*2mb Broadband (£10)
*Phone line ( £10)

On top of that i got the free virgin tv service which i would like to upgrade to XL

Could you tell me the best way to do that. I know it's possible, by looking at the deals the other forum users got:)

Phone them up and ask to be put through to retentions. Dont deal with customer services as they cant offer you a deal.

If you have been with them for any length of time and you have not had a deal before they will deffinately offer you something.

for BB (2mg)
tel (evening and weekends)
XL TV

they will probably give you it for about £32.

One of my mates phones them all the time and he has XL phone, XL TV, Sky sports (no broadband) and he pays about £32.

Dont listen to the previous poster you are looking for the best deal you can get. If everyone else is happy paying over the odds then more fool them.

Remember the golden rule if you dont ask you dont get:smashin:

Hi

Right now i pay £23 for
*2mb Broadband (£10)
*Phone line ( £10)

They were doing XL TV, 2mb (should be 4mb now?) bb, and phone for £30/month a few weeks ago. Wouldn't give it to me though.

The evening and weekend phone calls for £10/mth is a rip-off, you can get 'free' (5p connection charge) calls from 18185 http://www.18185.co.uk/.

Best ask for the £30/month for TV, bb and phone first, then once you've agreed that, cancel the £10/mth evening calls.

Best ask for the £30/month for TV, bb and phone first, then once you've agreed that, cancel the £10/mth evening calls.

Do that and they will promptly and correctly (under their terms and conditions) charge you full price for the broadband and TV (currently £29.50 for L TV and M BB). They may even charge you more as there is not an official TV without Phone price, except for the XL Solus price.

Do that and they will promptly and correctly (under their terms and conditions) charge you full price for the broadband and TV (currently £29.50 for L TV and M BB). They may even charge you more as there is not an official TV without Phone price, except for the XL Solus price.

What is Solus???!?

What is Solus???!?

If you want TV on its own, although not documented on their website, you can get the XL package for £25 per month. This is the Solus XL price. There is some support that there is also a Solus L TV package which I think is £14.50 per month????

If you want TV on its own, although not documented on their website, you can get the XL package for £25 per month. This is the Solus XL price. There is some support that there is also a Solus L TV package which I think is £14.50 per month????

You can certainly get TV and broadband without phone, the price is £34/month for XL TV and M broadband - I just signed up to it. This is a permanent price, apparently it's a discount, even though broadband is £10/month (for 12 months), full price is £18/month, so it's cheaper than broadband and TV separately.

Didn't think this was too bad, the Virgin broadband is pretty decent, but the phone service is too expensive.

You can certainly get TV and broadband without phone, the price is £34/month for XL TV and M broadband - I just signed up to it. This is a permanent price, apparently it's a discount, even though broadband is £10/month (for 12 months), full price is £18/month, so it's cheaper than broadband and TV separately.

Didn't think this was too bad, the Virgin broadband is pretty decent, but the phone service is too expensive.

Yes that price is based on the 2 for £25 BB and TV deal which includes 2Mb BB M and TV L. The upgrade to TV XL increases the price by £9 per month (being the difference between the 'list' price of 10.50 for L TV and 20.50 for XL TV).

I managed to get TV L + BB M for £20/month. I was already on a retention deal of TV XL + BB M + Phone for £30/month and they had just taken TV + BB off the 2 for £20 deal and made it 2 for £25. They kindly offered to let me keep TV XL for an extra £9 so I would only have saved £1 and lost the phone.

They are very reluctant for people not to have a phone line because phone is a major earner for them and they are losing phone customers at a massive rate.

I use a Tesco IP phone adapter plugged into my broadband router which lets me use a normal phone with "local" landline number (not the one I had because Tesco have a fixed range of codes and you can't transfer your old number) and 01/02 calls at 2p/minute priced to the nearest 1p with no connection charge and no line rental.

... they had just taken TV + BB off the 2 for £20 deal and made it 2 for £25...

Yes my pricing is based on the 'old' 2 for £20 BB and TV, which I have upgraded from BB M to L and TV L to XL for £36 per month total.

I went instore to sign up to Virgin and managed to get L TV L Broadband and XL phone for £37 per month. got free upgrade on phone for complaining about the £25 instalation charge :D

I must be one of the few lucky ones who actually had virgin media call the to offer them a better deal. Was paying £42 per month for free weekend calls on the phone line, 2mb bb and xl tv package then got a call about 3 months ago offering me the 3 for £30 deal, I would keep my bb speed, my xl tv package and current phone deal. I signed up straight away and the enquired about free evening calls to be added to my package and was told that would be £5.50 a month extra (no call connection charges) so I grabbed that as well so now I have a better deal than before and pay £6.50 a month less. Also sorted the same deal for my parents and a few friends. If you get through to a customer service rep in india who will not do this for you ask to be put through to an english call centre, they cannot refuse to do this and if they get arguementative about it then ask for the floor manager ( by law no matter what country a call centre must have at least 1 in at all times, i know hat i'm talking about on this trust me) push for the best deal you can but don't push them to far,Virgin is out to deliver a great service but they are also in this to make money after all. A pleasent tone and a calm vioce have got me a lot of great deals over the years and people are more likley to help if they are not being shouted at (16 years in customer service has shown me that)

My retentions deal a few months ago was:

TV XL (£20.50), BB XL (£37.00), BB & TV Bundle Saving (-£9.50), V+ (£0.00)

Total £48.

Yesterday I got my new bill and it looks like they are going to starting to charge me £10 for V+.

I definitely need the V+ (HD upscaling), so it seems like I have the following options:

1. Pay the extra £10 per month (total £58)

2. Phone retentions to try to get this £10 reduced or removed

3. Pay the £100 V+ "Service Charge" mentioned here. The monthly V+ fee would then automatically be zero as I am on TV XL.

4. Phone retentions to try to get the £100 V+ Service Charge reduced or removed

What course of action would you recommend that I follow?

Thanks
Geoff

If your retentions deal was free V+. Then ring them up (retentions) and tell them this is the case.

After reading your posts I just rang 0800 0520184 (retentions number) said I'd been offered a good deal by sky, they asked which one. I said 3 for £15 which with BT would be £26 per month.

They asked a few questions about what I watched, I told them I missed Las Vegas from sky one but I watched living.

Was paying £44.45 for TV L, BB M and Phone L (free eve and weekends). Now getting TV XL, BB M and Phone XL (free 24/7 UK landline) for £39.95 which will go down in November to £37.95.

I am a happy bunny :clap:

hi, i will stick my notes into this posts,
im with virgin media, and was paying 85£ when they switched from Ntl.
after 1 month of me paying this i was begining to think im getting overcharged for the service so i go on the hunt (not knowing about retentions) cust services could not help me out at all so i go through to disconnections give them the reason Sky offered me better routine, they then tell me to hold and we can sort something out long behold they do start going knocking 10 off to start i was adement i didnt want to pay over £50 for everything because Sky charge 55£ for everything, they tried to knock the BB down to 2MB to drop the price a lot but once again i say i may aswell go with sky, yes even though the exchange is far away, long behold thought i get the deal i want...

so now i get ...

10MB broadband - Half Price 12.50 per month
XL TV / free evening and weekend - £38 (no movies)

My advice dont be too straight foward, use big words to confuse, plant a seed in the brain early, drill Sky are offering better, into there head speak highly of sky and you will be laughing, i have done this for 3 family members and the lowest i got is £50 for the lot.

Hope this helps if so send some thanks my way =):smashin::thumbsdow:devil:

Hi,
I called 0800 0520184 and that wasn't retentions. My contract ends in 10 days so I asked if I could get a new deal and they said no :mad:
Is this the actual number to go through retentions? Maybe you have to ask to talk to them? :confused:
Could someone help please?

That is the number I rang and then I selected option 2. They asked how could they help and I said what I stated in post #17 that I had been offered a good deal by sky and I wanted to give them a chance to counter that offer.

Good luck

Cheers... I had to call twice because the 1st person I had wouldn't give me a deal. I didn't get much actually but that was exactly what I wanted: I was paying £30 for Broadband M, TV L and Phone M. For the same price they upgraded the TV to XL. Like I said, nothing much but just what I was hoping for. :thumbsup:

Excellent, glad you're happy, that's the most important thing. I know others have a better deal than me but I'm more than happy with what we have and it's less that we were paying before. They might even get more custom from me now as I'm sorely tempted by the V+ box now I have XL tv :devil:

Excellent, glad you're happy, that's the most important thing. I know others have a better deal than me but I'm more than happy with what we have and it's less that we were paying before. They might even get more custom from me now as I'm sorely tempted by the V+ box now I have XL tv :devil:
I know my deal could have been better but I already have unlimited evenings and week-ends on my mobile and Broadband M suits perfectly my needs so I haven't been too demanding with them.
Like you I'm very tempted by the V+ box now that I have XL TV but £150 still seems harsh for the time being.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom