1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to get 6.1 from rx-v1000

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by faithless, Jul 20, 2001.

1. faithless

faithless

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all :)

I have just got myself a yamaha rx-v1000RDS, i see that to get the sixth channel i have to use a separate amp.Thing is for now all i have is a old midi sytem with stereo RCA inputs and no balance control.How shall i proceed? Can i just use a RCA-to-RCA cable and just connect one end to the rear centre pre-out and the other end to the left channel input on the midi system then just connect the rear centre to the left speaker output? If i were to use i single too double rca cable and connect as above except connect the rear pre-out to both channels on the midi system and connect the rear centre to both the left and right speaker outputs would this provide 80watts to the speaker if each channel provided 40watts?

Right now i only have a RCA-to-RCA cable if i used this would my midi system be damaged by using it with only one channel conneted up bearing in mind the the system has no L/R balance?

Thx hope you clear this up for me :)

Cya :)

2. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    You can either

a) use a RCA to RCA cable fed into the L or R input of the e.g. AUX at your mini hifi and drive the L or R only as rear center or

b) you use a RCA to 2x RCA adapter cable and feed it into the L and R input of e.g. AUX driving the L and R speaker, bringing you closer to the THX version which requires 2 speakers, too (driven by seperate amps though the signal remains mono).

40W for the L and R channels remains at 40 Watt / channel as they are seperated.
    (Ok, in total it would 80W but it doesn't really matter anyhow.)

3. faithless

faithless

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thx Reiner :)

There is one thing im still not clear on :).I only have one speaker for use as a rear centre(m72) i want to provide it with as much power as possible, if i connected both channels from the outputs from my midi system to a single rear speaker would this provide the speaker with 80watts since each channel is 40watts?

Thx alot

4. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No! You will destroy the amp stage (more specifically the output transistors) of your midi if you connect both channels to one speaker, still if you are going to do it make sure you turn the midi up to full whack before turning it on at least you will get a free fireworks display for the cost of the midi.
    Use only one channel per speaker, unless the amp stage is extremely weedy (most on midi's are just weedy) the transformer should be able to cope with one speaker adequately enough (40 real watts being a reasonable output full-stop), given that your Yammy only delivers the "matrixed" version of ES/EX (EX being matrix only anyhow) this channel is not considered a true full-range channel anyway as opposed to the DTS ES Discrete in which the center back channel is full range also, "shelf filters" are used to reduce the bandwidth (much like Pro-Logic) thus presenting a much less load for your midi amp.

5. ReTrO

ReTrO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    If the M72 is biwire/bi-ampable, then you could bi-amp the speaker using the two channels of power output. Feeding the left to the high and the right to the bass.

6. faithless

faithless

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thx steve :) good thing i don't have the cable right now or i might have done it already!.ReTrO that sounds good to me :) will give it a go.

thx2all :)

7. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Say faithless, I'm going to buy the RX-V1000,how is it.Is this extra rear channel so good?

8. faithless

faithless

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi teskelover

I still have not got the rear centre set up yet so i don't know,but im sure i'll be worth it.
    For the price paid(£407)Im well pleased with the sound from the yammy with both music and movies.Its a heck of a step up from my old sony midi system :) Im most happy with the vocals and bass, stuff like the doors and morcheeba sounds excellent as does the likes of slipknot :) The yammy seems very powerful providing more volume than i can use without sounding crap.To top it off the remote is brill too,i've learnt it the commands from my realmagic remote letting me control my PC-DVD software :) Its also very easy to use.
    *RECOMMENDED*

---------------
    Fronts- Mission M73
    Centre- Mission M72
    Rear Centre- Mission M72
    Rears- Sony SS-MD5
    Cable- Gale XL189
    Source-Creative Dxr3 - {Pioneer 105s PC-DVD}